Weekend build, 63 typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some extra parts around so did a weekend build of a Schwinn Typhoon. I failed to photograph before pictures of the rusty frame but got some durring the repaint process.

Frame and guard blasted- When blasting with silica make sure you clean the parts well before and after to ensure all residue is removed to promote primer adhesion. Theres other less dirty abrasives (such as black diamond coal slag) out there but I can blast a bike frame for about $6 worth of silica sand.

Parts primered, before primer- I hand sand with 220 grit and touch up any gouges in the metal.

I do not use sealer between primer and basecoat on bicycles. I have before and it just creates more material and easier to chip the paint when installing bearing cups and rims. I touch up sand any questionable spots in the primer with 400grit. Im carefull not to break thru the primer or more will need to be applied (normally sealed and small breakthru is ok in this case)
Black base applied, normally I can clear the base within 40 minutes but Im applying the water transfers before clearcoat so I give the base coat three hours dry time. Ive done it sooner before but have had issues with the decall lifting in the future.

Clear coat applied. I actually spray bikes at a little higher pressure than normally desired for automotive. This gives you smaller 'droplets' of clear and eliminates orange peal. Higher pressure will often make for more material waste but turnin the fan pattern down to a circle kind of evens it back out (only painting an inch wide tube and dont need 12 in wide fan pattern)

Frame assembled with some spare parts. The fenders were not correct so I found rear fender braces and shortened them so they attach where they would factory. The mounting hole behind seat did not line up so i filled it with a rivet which looks better than an open hole.

I found black grips and the black/white seat yet to be installed. Still need a kickstand but overall about $120 in supplies and decals to make a nice rider.

Back