Weird people on Craigslist - Tell your story

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok years ago I had a pet...A pot belly pig, it turned out to be pretty cool. But the purchase was the best, I was using my daily driver at the time 58 Buick Super and I only had to drive like a mile to pick up this pig and it was a baby so it would fit in the box on the front floor. I arrive at the ....townhouse ? and I knock on the door and this lady answers with all these pigs living in the house mommy pig daddy pig and all the babies sliding all over the kitchen vinyl and then they all jumped on the couch to settle down. I bought one and laughed all the way home.

When I get an even remotely weird vibe, and the buyer is coming to pick whatever up, I crack the window on my car, lock it and tape and envelope to the item with instructions to drop it in the car. Then I stay out of site. This way, if they try to bolt, I'm watching. If they have a problem, I always leave my cell number and say that I am at the neighbors house, busy with a project etc unless they really just HAVE to talk to me. I find the less contact with the craigslist crowd is usually best. I've met a few cool people, but not worth the ones that are all soaked in the crazy.

My favorite is when they start in on some super personal story about their terrible life/divorce/etc and it makes me start considering buying a tazer :wink: :roll:

Hahaha, that was funny. I could have done without the underwear scenes though.

Hammond Eggz said:
Also not exactly a CL story, but a bizarre selling-related situation.
About 12 years ago I was selling my Kawasaki Ninja. I'd just gotten my dream bike (Ducati), and just wanted to sell it fast to free up the extra payment, etc. I listed it for something like $6300 FIRM, just a couple of dollars over my actual pay-off, and close to two grand under market value. It was a GREAT deal.
At the time I lived right on a major street, so I parked it out on the sidewalk in front of my house with a For Sale sign on it. It was a long sidewalk on a big front yard with a flawless lawn I was really proud of, and it looked spectacular in Ferrari red against all that green - an awesome "sale display"! About 7 o'clock on the first Saturday morning after I first started trying to sell it, my front doorbell rings (the bike wasn't even out on display yet), waking us all up, including my two kids, who were pretty small at the time. I dragged myself out of bed and answered the door. This heavy, older Hispanic guy with a thick accent says, "Hey man, I want to buy your bike!".
I say, "OK, great. Uh, you want to ride it first?"
He says, "No, I jus' give you cash!"
I was pretty groggy still, trying to keep up with what was happening and said, "OKayyy. Sounds good to me", but somewhere in the back of my peabrain, a Weirdness Alarm was starting to go off, I was just in too much of a stupor to realize it yet.
He then says, "You take three thousand, OK!"
Whoooaaa Nellie!! I knew this had to be too good to be true! I tell him, no - sixty three hundred.
He says, "No I give you CASH! Three thousand!"
I say, "Noooo, the price is sixty three hundred. I OWE sixty three hundred."
Him, "I give you CASH! Three thousand"
I'm getting annoyed quickly. "Look", I say straining to be nice, and try to explain to him, just in case he's not understanding for some reason, "I OWE that much on it. If I took three thou for it, I'd still owe the bank three thou for it! Besides, it's already priced about two thousand cheaper than what they're selling for. It's a GREAT deal. SIX thousand. Three hundred. That's the best price."
He acts like I've been standing there silent, "Here! You take my three thousand!"
I finally said, "No thanks", and closed the door. :?
The weirdest thing is he came back two more times! The next time at the same early hour. By the end of the second time, after having almost an identical conversation, I was about to go ballistic, and told him NOT to come back, and closed the door on him.
The next day - not so early - he came again! :shock:
I saw who it was, and about came through the door at him. I'd always talked to him through our security screen, but this time I came right out onto the porch and yelled "WHAT DO YOU WANT??!!" in his face. He shoved a fistful of bills into my chest! "HERE! YOU TAKE CASH! 3 THOUSAND! I BUY YOUR MOTORCYCLE!"
I couldn't believe it! Not really wanting to have an Assault and Battery charge against me (!), I just grabbed the money out of his hand and threw it toward the front yard and told him to get the "F" off my property or I'd call the cops. He kept talking as he picked it all up as if he still might get to buy the bike! I just yelled "GO!" again, and told him never to come back, and went back inside!
What The F??!!

I give you CASH! Three thousand, for pretty Ducati

I think it's funny when you have a CL customer and after they inspect the bike and something isn't perfect, you hear a "that will put me down at another $35".

It's like, where are you pulling these crazy numbers from??? :roll:

Or when somebody notices that the tires aren't perfect and they say "those tires too weathered, so I'll have to open my wallet and buy new tires and new tubes which will end up being $60".

...human beings... I'm telling you... :wink:

Real frustrating situation...

Got a guy that lives in my town that keeps posting parts and stuff for sale, no phone number listed in the ad, so I use the email link. The guy NEVER emails back, Ive been trying for weeks to get ahold of him. He posts in a bunch of different catagories with all kinds of stuff for sale, but he wont return emails I suppose.

I even went so far as posting an ad to get his attention so that he would hopefully get back with me.... TWICE so far... no luck. Since he posts the same stuff over and over you would think a light bulb would go off and he might realize he cant sell anything if he dont communicate!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

At this point I dunno what to do, Ive tried emailing him from a different address to see if it was just me that he was ignoring, but no luck there either. Plus Ive seen others post on CL with the same frustrations, he has something they want, but no contact info. :roll:

Ive been trying to watch his postings and see if the ones he actually posts pictures in has something in the background that is familiar, my town is fairly small, only 9-10k residents and Ive lived here all my life, so Im hoping to catch a glimpse of something familiar. I just dont get the game this guy is playing??

I sold a Nishiki 10 speed on CL a while back. Unfortunately (or not) I was out of town and asked my wife to let in this person that was interested and take the $$ if they wanted the bike. So I get home and my wife tells me that the bike sold but that she had to write a bill of sale!! Turns out the interested party was a high school kid and he had his dad drive him. Dad wanted a bill of sale for a 1980s road bike that I had ridden regularly and kept in very good operating order... I hope he didn't have any problems getting it registered!

Once I was selling two bikes at the same time and got the identical message from the same person for both, written in badly translated English asking me if I would take a cashier's check for the bike and ship it to him. Needless to say my response was no. What struck me as funny is the fact that they were two entirely different bikes, A men's fixie and a 26" 3 speed, and I got the exact same response from the same person on both. :?

I just had a weird encounter.

A guy randomly shows up at my house on a bicycle wanting to buy another bicycle. The bike he rode in on was an older bike so we agreed on a trade + cash. He asked me if I saw the young female jogger that was in front of him as he was riding. He tells me that he had a hard time keeping up with her and that "her legs were really nice". He goes on about how cute she looked, maintaining a big grin as he practically drools in my driveway thinking about it. Creep.

He then asks me if he can have the traded bike back if he ever changes his mind. I tell him not a chance.

The end. :wink:

I think I got the weirdest one yet! I was selling something on craigslist the week before Halloween (don't remember what it was) but I had a large dog at the time and used to scoop the droppings into a 5 gallon plastic bucket and had that bucket of dog poop in the background of the picture of what I was selling. Someone actually e-mailed and asked if they could buy the bucket of poop.......... Never thought I'd ever get $20 bucks for a big bucket of Dog poop.

outskirtscustoms said:
I think I got the weirdest one yet! I was selling something on craigslist the week before Halloween (don't remember what it was) but I had a large dog at the time and used to scoop the droppings into a 5 gallon plastic bucket and had that bucket of dog poop in the background of the picture of what I was selling. Someone actually e-mailed and asked if they could buy the bucket of poop.....blank. Never thought I'd ever get $20 bucks for a big bucket of Dog poop.

ROFL!!!! What is he going to use it for? :D Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

I remember a couple years ago seeing an auction on eBay of this guy trying to sell a shoebox full of little dog turds. In his description he said that his friend made a bet saying he couldn't sell dog turd on eBay... the bet was for $100. I watched the auction end and the bidding went up to $51! So that's $100 from the bet + $51 from the buyer = $151 all for selling dog poop on eBay!

It's amazing that you can actually sell that crap, literally! :lol:

outskirtscustoms said:
I think I got the weirdest one yet! I was selling something on craigslist the week before Halloween (don't remember what it was) but I had a large dog at the time and used to scoop the droppings into a 5 gallon plastic bucket and had that bucket of dog poop in the background of the picture of what I was selling. Someone actually e-mailed and asked if they could buy the bucket of poop.....blank. Never thought I'd ever get $20 bucks for a big bucket of Dog poop.
You could've sold him some paper bags and matches too. Just watch out when the doorbell rings next time! :shock:

This one is just a complete lack of common courtesy. Some people treat CL ads like walking into walmart when ever they feel like it. wal mart is always open for them.

Posted a vintage Schwinn and had a quick response. Guy said he would try to come over Sat. His wife wanted the bike to bury in her garden as yard art. Talk about a turn-around! So, I put a few junk parts together on another bike and suggested it instead at a greatly reduced price. I guess once a bike is sold it's none of my business what is done with it, but it kind of galled me to contribute to this kind of thing. I didn't mention my feelings about the yard art ending to a fairly nice bike to him.

Anyway he almost promised to call and come over today (Sunday) to decide which bike they wanted, and the end result was, no call, no nothing. The only thing saving was it was so freeking hot here, I stayed in anyway and watched the Watkins Glen race, so it was not a chore to be by the phone.

Is a 30 second call, to confirm intentions, either way too much to asK????????? Jeeze! I might have wanted to answer a CL ad myself instead of sitting by the phone.

Actually that's exactly what he used it for, Halloween pranks. He lived in Indy so didn't have access to a big dog so he drove 50 miles and bought poo for $20..........I laughed for 3 days over that one. Still laugh every time i think about it.

jerrykr said:
This one is just a complete lack of common courtesy. Some people treat CL ads like walking into walmart when ever they feel like it. wal mart is always open for them.

So true. Just today I had someone randomly come over during Sunday suppertime. Talk about rude. :roll:

No shows are just as irritating too, like you've mentioned. They are a total waste of time. I've probably wasted a good 4 hours of my life just waiting for people; it's a stupid little game. I like to do background checks on the people who e-mail me -- just to see who they really are since it's good to play it safe. Sometimes I forget to google them and when they never show up, it's no surprise googling them later to find out that they're not very decent, whether be by noting what they say or viewing the pictures they're in. It's sad to judge that way but it's so true; if you see filth, you get filth.

But the majority of people on Craigslist are simply awesome! I rarely get no shows... I'd say on about a 1 out of 40 basis for me. Life is good! :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
Actually that's exactly what he used it for, Halloween pranks. He lived in Indy so didn't have access to a big dog so he drove 50 miles and bought poo for $20..........I laughed for 3 days over that one. Still laugh every time i think about it.
HAHAHA! That is so amazing! :mrgreen:

so true, there's a lot of jack wads on C-list. I've had a few that work out good for me though, I do small engine repair and took in a guy's almost new 4 wheeler to repair, 6 months and hundreds of phone calls later he still hadn't picked it up so I sold it and made $1500 bucks off of a $25 repair.

yep, get that mechanics lien signed every time before you touch a repair. Good outcome!

Back