Weld on a new steerer?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I still haven't been able to tremove the stem remnant from this find http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32391 and I'd like to use the fork and fender on the frame. Any ever weld on a new steerer before? Any idea where it could/should be done and how much $?

I want to use the fork and fender since I have the truss rods for it and the "paint" matches the frame.

Shouldn't be too hard but here is the thing. you would need to weld on the new one as close to the top of the fork as possible (meaning cutting most of it off). This is because when you weld on a new one the weld may penetrate all the way through. If it was in the middle it would cause the stem to not fit in. Also it might be a good idea to put a piece of tubing inside under the weld to give it strength.

Just my 2 cents.

If you're gonna pay to have it done, then any welding/fab shop could do it. The prices will vary depending on the person and shop. You should be able to find a neighbor, friend or relative that's capable, but I would try to have them teach me how to do it, if I were you..
If you really can't find anyone or you don't have the money, you could always cut the head off and bolt another one in it's place. Make your cuts back on the frome, and cut another head off of a different bike,that's close in style, at about the same place. Now find a couple of pieces of metal tubes that will fit tightly inside your bikes frame. Use this to sleeve the frames together tight. Now drill at least two holes through both sections (the frame and the new head tube areas). Get bolts that fit fairly tight in the holes and tighten them up. The bike should be safe to ride. After you've ridden a few miles, go back and retighten the bolts just to be safe.
Hope this helps. You can eventually get some fancy nuts and bolts to spiffy up the bike.

Have you tried to heat up the steer tube to almost red hot to try to break up the rust bond? I have done this to spoke nipples to break them loose. Like CMAN said, hack saw the stem in two inside the steer tube and remove. Or just buy another fork like the one you have for another 20 bucks.

I'm sorry, I think I miss read your post or read more into it. Are you talking about the goose neck when you say steerer? If so, never mind most of my commemt. I thought you meant that you couldn't get the fork out of the head tibe.
sorry

Just cut up the pieces this morning to do my 3rd one. a couple were to lengthen this one is to fix a Typhoon one that had ice burst . I have cut them about a 3rd of the way up from the bottom race the tubes are thicker there and its far enough down to not interfere with the stem if any weld boogers intrude to the inside of the tube. will try and post pics later.
dscf1810n.jpg

By xc204 at 2009-08-25
dscf1811i.jpg

By xc204 at 2009-08-25

Chainsaw, yup... this is the problem with mine
61schwinnstem.jpg

The previous owner cut the stem off after the stem bolt broke (I think) inside the steerer. I've tried heat, PB, and clamping whats left of the stem in a vise and twisting the fork blades with a 3 ft pole. No budge (but I did break the vise).

I like what you did there XC. what diameter tub is that on the inside (and happen to have any spare =) )

How about cutting off the bent part as close to the threads as possible then drilling it out?
You may be able to thin it up enought to then brake the rest of it out.

Subadrew I think the tubes have slightly different sections for diff types and brands so you just gotta cut and fit. I was just lengthing this one hence the gap. Its pretty easy to find a semi modern 1" fork and splice it on to the old one. If you don't weld there are some serious bike guys in the Denver Cruisers. I may have asked before but do you know my daughter Emily Ross and her boyfriend Seth Wilson? they run with the Cobras and Kickstand guys.

You're emily's dad!

ha!

I was just out with her on Wednesday (till wee hours Thursday morning when we celebrated her b-Day!).

Small world!!

Yeah, I'm pretty big into the cruisers and ride with them every week. Actually I'll be riding with some of them (including emily) this evening for another cruisers b-day.

i dont know, that fella looks a little shady to me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

X-RAY said:
i dont know, that fella looks a little shady to me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He knows what he's doing (but he's even "shadier" in person).

Almost every bike I've built has the steering tube welded, for the right length.

The old Schwinn forks only have a small hole for the fender mounting bolt. There are not a lot fo options short of heat and penetrating oil.

I would NEVER weld on a new steerer tube though.

It's pretty tough to get them true, meaning tight spots in the headset. It's also scary!

But so is that bike.

Back