welding a lugged frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have to do some welding on an old (about 50-60 years) lugged frame. the thing is i'm welding very close to the lugs - less then halve inch - and now i'm concerned the heat of the welding might melt the filler metal and destroy the connection.

anyone has any hands-on experience with this (going wrong) ?

On my Bridgestone Kabuki (bottom frame) one of the lugs melted while torch welding, but it has more to do with the cast pot-metal lugs that Kabukis have, which aren't steel. On a regular lugged frame like the Mizutani (top frame) that didn't happen. Just to be safe, I would not use oxyacetylene. Arc welding should be fine.
PDC_0065.jpg

you can wrap a wet rag around something you dont want to mess up with heat and it will protect it. It heat sinks and keeps whatever your protecting cool.
Its like trying to burn a hole in a styrofoam cup full of water with a ciggarette. it just keeps dissapating the heat and you cant do it.

Uncle Stretch said:
you can wrap a wet rag around something you dont want to mess up with heat and it will protect it. It heat sinks and keeps whatever your protecting cool.
Its like trying to burn a hole in a styrofoam cup full of water with a ciggarette. it just keeps dissapating the heat and you cant do it.
Or boiling whater in a paper cup over an open fire. That's one of my favorite camping tricks. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back