Welding on drop forged forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have the forks to my Schwinn tandem that I might put back on there if I can get them fixed. They have a prong missing from one of the ends. I wonder if drop forged steel can be welded or something special needs to be done to fix them?

I think for the price and how easily you can pick a good one up for I wouldn't even bother. I snapped a fork off once and I still have the scars...and flashbacks from it. lol. Yeah you could weld it but I wouldn't even bother.

The tandem forks are heavier than the usual ashtabula forks. It's not missing the whole end, just one prong so i might try to get it repaired.

you could weld on some similar sized rod stock, even just a bolt, and grind it to shape. its not like super steel, just cast. :D ive seen threads on here before with your exact problem, and they fixed it. if anything, the new prong will be stronger, since it was welded, and heated. :wink:

I think you have to heat cast iron or cast steel before you weld it. Some of the stuff I have welded looked really good and broke right next to what I welded. I have seen them weld motor blocks that had cracks , but they take a torch and heat it red hot and then weld.

Forks are cheap enough to replace to avoid the hassle and safety factor of trying to fix/weld a broken one.IMHO

An import Springer fork would be safer and look better,also IMHO...but its your bike,do what ya want.

Hey, No problem .... it can be fixed in about 10 min. ok .... Nickle Rod ... Pre Heat .... apply part while still red hot from weld to flat surface & smack it a few times with a 5 pound Hammer .... Re Forge ... Grind to satisfy & Viola ... quick & dirty repair ... don't throw away.

Just curious ... are ya gona be the captin or stroker ??? have ya ever ridden a tamdem ??? lol it can be Very Trying with the wrong person lol.

Yes , I have a pretty cool one that so far I have to ride myself lol .... its outfited with 3.0 x 24 W/ a schwinn Red Band 2 speed & Thick Brick whitewalls ok.

I have heard it said that that the two happiest days of your life are when ya buy & sell the tandem ...

LOL I'm very certain that there are some pretty funny stories associated to tandems out therre .

Now Grooving ,

Stephen / Wingman

Back