Welding Tip #21

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip #21- We all know that long pants are standard safety wear. But, maybe not your old worn out pants that all frayed at the seams and hems. It came to my attention last night that all of those little stringy things catch fire pretty easy. I was welding away and smelled something burning (duh, welding- burning metal) but a different smell. A quick scan around , no fires anywhere, must just be because I have the garage door all the way down. Then about a minute later I feel my foot getting a little warm, I look down to see all of the frayed ends on my pant leg are smoldering :shock: a couple pats and everything was out. I just started laughing, shut off the bottle and welder and called it a night.
I guess those pants should be demoted to yard duty only... but I'll probably wear them again anyway.

Haha, yes good tip!

Ive had it happen to me before too so your not alone!

which brings me to...
Welding tip #17

Most if not all of us Rat Rod bike guys have a stash of steel wool, make sure to keep the steel wool COMPLETELY away from welding sparks, AND grinding sparks. Either one can cause the wool to ignite and smolder, which could ignite an actual fire.

And don't ever keep a butane cigarette lighter in your shirt or pants pocket when welding or especially burning. Don't ask me why I say that!

Ratfink1962 said:
Haha, yes good tip!

Ive had it happen to me before too so your not alone!

which brings me to...
Welding tip #17

Most if not all of us Rat Rod bike guys have a stash of steel wool, make sure to keep the steel wool COMPLETELY away from welding sparks, AND grinding sparks. Either one can cause the wool to ignite and smolder, which could ignite an actual fire.

Specially it's soaked with WD40 after scrubbing chrome. DAMHIKT :roll:

Kill a cow and wear as much leather as possible. Even the gloves and not the mechanics gloves. They melt and burn also.

yeah ive set myself on fire at work quite a few times.....frayed cuffed jeans go up quick(i didnt even notice the first time....the prepper was screaming "YOURE ON FIRE!!!" :lol: )
i also learned never run out and quickly weld something in flannel pajama bottoms the hard way.........
and if you have to weld on your side or lying down...wear ear plugs....one of the old-timer bodymen i work with is deaf in one ear from slag rolling in it(said he heard a loud "POP" and that was it for that ear)

Ouch, that made me cringe just thinking of it. I'll definitely keep that one in mind if I get in a situation like that. I've had a few hit me on the head and that was enough for me to get a hat, my wife ridicules my dragon and flame hat every time she sees me in it.

Ive had a couple sparks go in the ear.... not cool at all!

oh and the steel wool thing... that stuff will go up pretty easy with just a spark, I could imagine with something like wd-40 on it, it would be 10 times as bad!!

Back