Welding - what type do you use?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per thread title, what type of welder/welding do you guys use to put together custom frames/burrito bikes?

The reason I ask is I only really have access to an ARC/Stick type welder & wondered if this may be a little heavy duty for welding bike tubing together?

Any input would be gratefully received.

Thanks for reading.

Paul.

I'm no welder, don't own one, and don't know jack about it. I did however watch my brother use his TIG welder to weld a double edge razor blade to a piece of steel by it's edge.:43: I took him a damaged rear rack to repair and I was worried he'd burn it up. After the razor blade demo, I wasn't worried. The damaged rack now looks like new, ready to paint. This TIG is capable of the fine welding needed on thin stuff like fenders. Incredible machine. My 2-cents. Gary

It can be done with a stick, but it would be much easier to use thicker tubing for at least one side of the joins.

Gasless mig is a good cheap alternative for welding thinner steel but has some drawbacks when it gets real thin.

Mig with gas is hard to beat for speed, adjustabilty and ease of use, but has the added costs.

Tig is the ultimate, but requires a fair amount of skill, is slower but neater, and has a greater up front expense along with the gas costs.

It all depend on what you want to spend and how easy you want it to be.

I am trained in all of them and capable of building a bike with all of them, a qualified metal fabricator and have won awards for my work, my choice is the Gas equipped Mig, a good balance of ease and speed verses looks. The tig will produce a nicer result, but I find the speed of the mig allows me to accomplish more in far less time and be willing to try things I otherwise might not.

Only the Mig options allow easy closed eyes tacking when doing the first tacks holding things in place with one hand, you can do it with the others, but not as easily.

Believe it or not Stick welding is a good option provided you know what you are doing, if you don't have much practice you will hate using it on thin tubing though...

Luke.

Thanks for the replies guys.

My problem is I don't really have the cash to fork out for any kind of welding plant at the moment and a friend of mine has a stick welder for stock car racing which I can use.

I have had some welding experience but it was a long time ago while I was at college full time. Tried gas, mig & stick. Found stick welding the easiest personally. Just couldn't get the hang of oxygen/acetylene at all.

I guess it's something I'll just have to ponder over for now...or give stick a go as it's what I have access to?! Confused...:crazy2:

Back