Welding

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, guys. Since I'm new to welding, I want to see some pics of frames you've welded up with a description of how. I'm curious of how the best way to weld tube using a mig. I've watched a few videos on YouTube, but I'm curious to know what kind of method you guys have. I've seen spot welds all the way around and a couple other methods. Thanks for the help in advance!

I prefer to lay a bead as long as I can on thicker metal like tubing (compared to sheet metal). Tubing is harder to do a complete bead all the way around with moving the gun all the way around. Moving it evenly lt to rt as you go around.

Gas mig is the only way to get a good weld really, flux core doesn't weld smoothly.

Flux core here, while I have done lots of gas mig welding, it is not in the cards for me. Use what ya got :wink:
I like to place 3-5 small tacks around all of the vital joints, this keeps things from moving around, I can tack up the whole bike or just major portions, this allows me to check and recheck all alignment points before I do the final welding. If it is tacked up 3-5 places per joint, it should not move enough to cause a problem during the final welding.
As for the jig... this was not mentioned but it is another key area to welding success. flat surface to lay the frame on is a good thing (I am talking mainly scratch built here). I am working with V blocks, they costs around 18 USD per at grizzly.com, or look on ebay, I am using the 4" models.

HTH, Ymmv 8)
peace

rich

Onewheelsqueel said:
Sorry, yes tack welds are the only way to go first off till ya know everything's where it needs to be. We can agree to disagree on the gas.

And disagree on the type of welder!
But the method is the same, tack it so it doesn't walk, twaek, skew, move, roll, and any number of other descripters, then connect the dots.
Do you mean push or pull the weld???
I've never welded a bicycle frame, maybe I should stfu.....
I have welded up machinery frames, car chassis, guards, doors, pans, shields, and all kinds of repair welding.

My input is DO NOT buy the Harbor Freight wire feed welder. I bought one and after laying down literally 2 lines of weld the feed mechanism gave out and wouldn't feed the wire anymore. They are JUNK!

Back