Well, since the factory is in my backyard

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XSk8Str8X, you never mentioned that you had a tour of the factory in your email,
IMO Worksman should offer a tour like this, I can't wait till the new Worksman Drop Looped down tube frames are ready, which if Wayne does build them won't be till winter or spring 2010.

XSk8Str8X from your own experience you know Wayne Sosin is very cooL, I know Wayne and if everyone is patient they too can build a Worksman Drop Looped Down Tube Framed Tribute Motorized Board Track Racer or a Drop Looped Down Tube Framed Tribute Motorized Harley Road Style Bicycle, these bikes are as close as it gets to the Period correct look of Pre & Post WWI motored bikes, built by what we now know as the modern motorcycle companies, well the only original US motorcycle company still in business is Harley-Davidson since 1903 & we all know Worksman is the oldest American Bicycle manufacturer in business since 1898.

For those of you that don't know what a Cyclone, Harley-Davidson, Indian, Board Track Racer is just google it or check out my Link to photobucket!
Peace Crazy Horse.
P.S. Please do check out my pic's on my photobucket page here's the Link: http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/ae26 ... e%20Bikes/
All these Motorized Tribute bikes are built using Worksman Bicycles, the M2600 Tall Cruiser or Worksman News Boy Cruiser all have the modified drop Looped down tube!
Typos Corrected.

ImportedPhotos00069.jpg
ImportedPhotos00089.jpg
ImportedPhotos00075.jpg
CYCLONEBICYCLE.jpg
indian_red-600x450.jpg
Deuce1910HarleyTribute4.jpg

I worked at a GM plant that is almost completely closed now, but at one time it had almost 14,000 people working there. The building is a mile long, and people got around on bikes-mainly Worksman bikes. We had them all-bikes, trikes,and flatbeds. There were hundreds,if not thousands of them-probably from the '50s until recently. Every spare corner of the plant had a bike or two chained up in it-if you forgot to chain your bike up,it was a different color and locked up somewhere else the next day. Skilled Tradesmen were expected to ride out to service calls on a bike with all their tools,so we all had big baskets on the front to hold tools. I had a Tinsmith friend make a locking box in place of a basket, so that I could leave my tools in the bike all the time. Some guys kept their bikes shiny and polished,while others were greasy and beat-up. We were a machining operation, so there were metal chips on the floor-it was a constant battle to keep from getting flats,as those curly steel chips would 'screw' their way into the tube. I had liners in my tires, and tubes filled with slime, and still I spent a lot of time digging chips out of the tires with needlenose pliers. There was oil on the floor,too, so if you were not careful, you were going to wipe out.
Lately, the company decided that the combination of slippery floors and bikes was a liability, so they announced that everyone must get rid of their bikes. You could take yours home (as I did),and all that remained were to be cut up by the welders-A friend that is still there told me that there are scrap tubs just filled with the remains of Worksman bikes. I wish I could get my hands on a few more,but I'm happy to have the one I have. I'll be restoring it to its original condition soon.

Jeep- It is like you are looking thru my eyes. I work in an aircraft factory building major assemblies for Boeing. Our plant is not as big, but we have a healthy supply of bikes around, mostly Giant Simple Singles, Cranbrooks, and a handful of old Schwinns. I also see a few Worksman bikes and trikes as well. Not having my bike would make for a long night.
10oflua.jpg

yeah,that's the stuff there. Most of our bikes had a couple of big nuts welded to the back frame tubes,so that you could slide a big bolt with a hole drilled in it through the rear tire and padlock it. Seats took a beating-there were some mighty big boys riding those things,and even the heavy-duty Mesingers would crack under the strain. I'd see a guy throw a couple of hundred pounds of die steels on one of the flatbeds,and have to stand on the pedals to get moving,and then see him spin the rim and break most of the spokes. I really think some of the bikes in that place were close to 50 years old-at least the frames. At one time we actually had a bike shop in the plant,and an old guy whose job was to maintain all the bikes and Cushman scooters in the plant-all long gone.

jeep44 said:
I worked at a GM plant that is almost completely closed now, but at one time it had almost 14,000 people working there. The building is a mile long, and people got around on bikes-mainly Worksman bikes. We had them all-bikes, trikes,and flatbeds. There were hundreds,if not thousands of them-probably from the '50s until recently. Every spare corner of the plant had a bike or two chained up in it-if you forgot to chain your bike up,it was a different color and locked up somewhere else the next day. Skilled Tradesmen were expected to ride out to service calls on a bike with all their tools,so we all had big baskets on the front to hold tools. I had a Tinsmith friend make a locking box in place of a basket, so that I could leave my tools in the bike all the time. Some guys kept their bikes shiny and polished,while others were greasy and beat-up. We were a machining operation, so there were metal chips on the floor-it was a constant battle to keep from getting flats,as those curly steel chips would 'screw' their way into the tube. I had liners in my tires, and tubes filled with slime, and still I spent a lot of time digging chips out of the tires with needlenose pliers. There was oil on the floor,too, so if you were not careful, you were going to wipe out.
Lately, the company decided that the combination of slippery floors and bikes was a liability, so they announced that everyone must get rid of their bikes. You could take yours home (as I did),and all that remained were to be cut up by the welders-A friend that is still there told me that there are scrap tubs just filled with the remains of Worksman bikes. I wish I could get my hands on a few more,but I'm happy to have the one I have. I'll be restoring it to its original condition soon.

My most of my family worked in the GM plant here in NY, before it closed in the early 90's. Like most people in my neighborhood which most of it's residents ( and myself) were of Slovak/Italian descent, our families came off the boat to work at the plant. My Grandmother built tanks there during WWII. Actually, Wayne Sosin told me that the school across the street from the Worksman plant was once a Singer sewing machine factory and was converted to making ammunition during WWII. Now, it's a NYC public school. Anyway, show us some b/f and after pics of your worksman when it's completed. ;)

cool bike I live in long beach ny and i have a worksmen tandem...btw ST rule pledge your alliegance!
016.jpg

lbcycles said:
cool bike I live in long beach ny and i have a worksmen tandem...btw ST rule pledge your alliegance!
016.jpg

Right on, bro! That Tandem must be fun cruising the boardwalk in LB.

Hey, did anyone catch ABC nightly news tonight and the story they did on Worksman cycles and acouple of other small businesses?

Back