Western Flyer? AMF?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's my recent tag sale purchase. I didn't see a serial number anywhere on the bike, the head tube badge is missing but the chain guard says Western Flyer.

As far as I know everything on the bike is original, less the tubes and tires. It has a Komet rear hub, unsure which model as I hadn't had a chance to scrape the grime off the hub - just going by the stamp on the arm of the coaster brake.

There's a plate on the back of the seat that reads "Made in Holland" - not sure if that's just the seat, or the whole bike. The fork crown is made up of 3 stacked plates.

Here's some pics:

DayOne1.jpg

DayOne3.jpg

DayOne2.jpg

DayOne6.jpg

ratina said:
The bike is an AMF, the seat is not original. The bike would have been made in Arkansas

Thanks for the reply ratina! That's what I thought, based on all the random Googling I've done. Any idea on the year?

EDIT: Scratch that. The more I read, the more I learn. As you said in the thread linked below, it's difficult to determine the year of these AMF's as they didn't change their design much at all from the 50's into the 70's. Looks like I've got the exact same bike as BikeSup:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 62&t=58673

Like ratina mentioned, definatly an AMF built bike and they used that style of clampless seat post (if it is the wedge bolt system used pre 62' and NOT just missing its seat post clamp) up untill 62' I believe and that style frame post 58', and that chainring makes it a 58' to 61' if it is the clampless AMF seatpost, or if missing it's conventional clamp, add thru 63' or 64' to that estimate.

Have a 60' AMF of my own and I love the way they ride. Good bikes and nice find! Hope this hepls out.

DSCN1311.jpg

Had to add a regular seatpost to mine, as the original post with wedge tightener was too far damaged when I got it.

roadmaster said:
Like ratina mentioned, definatly an AMF built bike and they used that style of clampless seat post (if it is the wedge bolt system used pre 62' and NOT just missing its seat post clamp) up untill 62' I believe and that style frame post 58', and that chainring makes it a 58' to 61' if it is the clampless AMF seatpost, or if missing it's conventional clamp, add thru 63' or 64' to that estimate.

Have a 60' AMF of my own and I love the way they ride. Good bikes and nice find! Hope this hepls out.

DSCN1311.jpg

Had to add a regular seatpost to mine, as the original post with wedge tightener was too far damaged when I got it.

That's a beautiful bike! Thanks for all that information, I appreciate the insight. The seatpost is the wedge-style, the wedge part of it is completely stripped and the bolt will not come out. I plan to cut the bolt, remove the damaged section, and re-drill and tap the wedge for the next size larger bolt. I have near-limitless hardware and tools to pick from at work, so the repair shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks everyone for your help in ID'ing my new ride, I'm completely new to vintage bikes so it's all very new and foreign to me. I've been checking out all the beautiful builds here, and I'm impressed - there are some amazing bikes out there!

On a side-note, once I really start working on this bike (hopefully this weekend or next) I'll start my own build thread. I've already got plans for it, a paint scheme picked out, and a few names rattling around in my head.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

roadmaster said:
These old AMF Roadmasters are really fun bikes to build and ride. They come as close as I am gonna get to CWC frame lines and worth the build time. Can't wait to see build picts.

I hope I don't disappoint, this is my first attempt at building a rat rod bike. I've actually never even seen a bike this old in my town, let alone even touched one. All I know for sure is that I'll have fun with the build, and it will be a learning experience. If I have enough fun I'll make hunting and refinishing vintage bikes a new hobby :D

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back