Western Flyer / Murray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I would give you all an update on my progress so far. I got a nice seat from a friend of a friend. It was off an old girls bike and the leather was rotted pretty bad so he traded it to me for a newer seat off a mountain bike.

Here is what the seat looked like when I got it. Sorry for the bad pics, my camera does not take good pics inside.
WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild36.jpg

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild37.jpg

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild38.jpg

Here is the seat after I hand stitched a new leather cover.
WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild40.jpg

I like the way the back tire runs between the seat springs. It has just the right amount of clearance to keep it from rubbing when the springs are bottomed out.
WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild39.jpg

Here is how it looks on the bike.
WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild41.jpg

I also took the seat spring off an old riding lawnmower to try making a leaf springer front end but haven't got too far on it yet.Here is what the spring looked like before I cut it in half (so I could make another one if this works).
WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild32.jpg

Here is a couple pics of how I mounted it to the fork. I think they are pretty self explanatory.
WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild34.jpg

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild35.jpg

I just need to figure out the rockers and struts so I can finish it then I think it will be time to put a finish on it.

Thanks for the compliments guys and I will keep you posted on my progress. The foot brake is working out great (much better than dragging my feet).

Dude. I dig this build so much. I know there is a lot of debate about this(one could call it a mass debate.), but this is a rat rod in ALL senses of the term. It's amazing man.

BrigmasterA said:
Dude. I dig this build so much. I know there is a lot of debate about this(one could call it a mass debate.), but this is a rat rod in ALL senses of the term. It's amazing man.

Glad you like it and thanks for the kind words. I think everyone has their own idea of what a rad rod is to them. The way I see it is if 2 people have different ideas as to what a rat rod is that doesn't have to mean 1 of them is wrong. This bike is my idea of what a rat rod is but maybe not to someone else and I can live with that. I just like cool bikes rat or not.

While I think you're correct that everyone has a different idea of what one is, I think you'd have to be crazy to say this one isn't... Just my opinion.

I started a new job recently and haven't had much time to work on anything but I did pick up some paint for this one today. So I will tear it down and start prepping it for paint tomorrow. I am going with a satin light brown and have decided to smooth out the welds with bondo. I still haven't decided if I want to paint the wheels or not. I guess I will start with the frame and then go from there. I will try to post some pics as I get more done.

love this project. Just found this site this weekend, glad to see so many same minded builders. Check out my post, our projects look similar, with an individual taste. Keep up the photos!

I must have missed this thread before... This is such a cool build!! :D I really like the footbrake and the shifter, and the saddle looks great! Actually the whole bike looks great! I'll definitely follow the rest of this build!

You are an excellent craftsman, and I love the ingenuity of all the different components. The frame lines are beautiful.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I am glad you guys like what I am doing.

Here is the paint I decided to go with. It is KRYLON SATIN BROWN BOOTS. I thought about going flat black with red wheels but wanted to do something a bit different on this one and I think the brown might look good with red wheels but haven't decided yet.

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild42.jpg

Here is the area were the seat tube,top tube and seat stays meet. As you can see the welds are real ugly but they are strong.

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild43.jpg

Here is the same area after a copy layers of bondo. I think it still needs a bit more bondo to make it right.

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild44.jpg

Here is the area were the chain stays attach. More ugly welds.

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild45.jpg

And the same area after some bondo. It still could use some work but I'll probably not worry too much about it as it is kind of hidden by the foot brake.

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild46.jpg

Here is the before shot of the bottom bracket area.

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild47.jpg

And after the bondo. Looks much better and since it will be hidden behind the sprocket I think it is good enough.
WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild48.jpg

I decided to give the bondoed areas a coat of paint to see how they were going to look and find there is still a bit of work to be done. I am not too worried about the bottom bracket area and chain stays area but want to try to get the seat tube area looking better.

WesternFlyer-MurrayBuild49.jpg

I had to work overtime at work today so probably won't get anything else done today.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a short day so I will be able to get it painted. Thanks again for all the positive feedback.

I think that brown paint will look really good with the red wheels! Are you going to do any pinstriping on it? Some black and white pinstipes could look nice... :D

Back