Western Flyer Newsboy Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Picked this up at an auction a week ago. From what I can tell, it's a Columbia made WF and uses the same frame as the Firebolt. I've always liked these frames and I'm really stoked about this one since it's a balloon tire instead of a middleweight. It's going to get a complete makeover--should be a fun project! If anyone has the dual headlight tank for this fella I'd drop some worthwhile coin for it!

DFA8705C-EAA2-406C-B8EB-F128F137E9C8-1424-0000020FD856A122.jpg

Great find. These frames are popping up all over RRB this week.
But I am the only one with the duallie light bell ringing tank :p :p

IMG_8770.jpg

Hey nateyboy...you pick that up at Mr. Kelly's auction up in Kearney,MO.? If so ,nice score...Ponytail Mike told me what it went for! Hey Kingfish,Marty (10~18 Kustoms) has a FireBolt with the complete tank set so you AINT the only one :mrgreen: (LOL)...Pappy 8)

Pappy said:
Hey nateyboy...you pick that up at Mr. Kelly's auction up in Kearney,MO.? If so ,nice score...Ponytail Mike told me what it went for! Hey Kingfish,Marty (10~18 Kustoms) has a FireBolt with the complete tank set so you AINT the only one :mrgreen: (LOL)...Pappy 8)

I have a Firebolt girls that doesnt sport that tank, but I do have a red/white 59 FireArrow that has the tank and mine sports the electric bell.
I do love the frame incorporated rear rack. Wayne Adams on the Cabe has a nice example of the Firebolt.

yduzegur.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Pappy said:

Yes Sir, it is. My dad lives up there and told me about the auction. I could only make it to the first day, but I came away with the WF and a '40s Hawthorne tank and chainguard. I've always liked these frames, but I prefer balloners to middleweights. The WF is the only ballon tire version of this frame I've ever seen. I posted a thread in the "Wanted" section looking for a tank. Let me know if you happen across one in your searching!

nateyboy said:
kingfish254 said:
...But I am the only one with the duallie light bell ringing tank :p :p

Not sure which drives me more nuts: the fact you have the tank I need or your Ric Flair avatar... :p

Don't be hatin' on DA NAYTCHA BOY ........ WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :p

When you say that your frame is a ballooner rather than a middleweight, do you mean that it has balloon rims and fenders on the same frame or that it actually has wider drops and forks?

I am sure there are other tanks out there. Especially since you have that cool (and rare) googly eyed tank to trade for it.

kingfish254 said:
nateyboy said:
kingfish254 said:
...But I am the only one with the duallie light bell ringing tank :p :p

Not sure which drives me more nuts: the fact you have the tank I need or your Ric Flair avatar... :p

Don't be hatin' on DA NAYTCHA BOY ........ WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :p

When you say that your frame is a ballooner rather than a middleweight, do you mean that it has balloon rims and fenders on the same frame or that it actually has wider drops and forks?

I am sure there are other tanks out there. Especially since you have that cool (and rare) googly eyed tank to trade for it.

LOL! As a kid who grew up in the '80s, wrestling was a huge part of my childhood. Every time I see that pic I can hear the "WOOOOOOOOO" coming out of his mouth. Takes me back...

The fork is definitely a ballooner as are the fenders. Whether or not the dropouts are any wider, I don't know for sure. I've squeezed balloon tires on MWs before, but its usually by sacrificing the fenders. This one definitely came stock with the balloon setup. If you wanted to measure the distance between your drops and where rear fender connects to the frame just below the seat we could find out for sure if there's any difference.

And if you decide you wanted to part with your tank I'd throw in Hulk Hogan and Hacksaw Jim Duggan action figures to sweeten the deal! :p

Latest posts

Back