Western Flyer value?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on craigslist. The owner doesn't know much about it besides being a Murray built Western Flyer "middleweight". He says late 50s, early 60s.

I'm still pretty fresh to all this but think it's a cool looking bike. He's asking $100 with the "vintage tack crate".

Can anyone elaborate on the year or model? Looks to be missing the front fender. Not sure how hard that would be to come across.

51371CF4-2F9F-441E-9A69-3825868AEC9D_zpslkqhkimh.jpg

That's a very good bike for a C-note. The owner is right on--I'd call it early 60s. Could be a Sonic Flyer. Fender is no issue. There are a million Murray frames from this era around and all the fenders are the same.

That's a very good bike for a C-note. The owner is right on--I'd call it early 60s. Could be a Sonic Flyer. Fender is no issue. There are a million Murray frames from this era around and all the fenders are the same.

Thanks! Anything I should keep an eye out for when I check it out? Obviously welds and cracks but anything else?

It's not a sin to chop this frame is it? Haha

check those forks...they look bent. might get some of the price knocked off.

Good catch, I see what you mean. Is it usually the plates at the bottom of the head tube that bend or is it actually the fork legs that bend? I'm not sure I'd actually use the fork in the build but it'd be nice to save some money or even help someone out who could use the fork.

whenever I have had bent forks, it most always the tube part that's inside the headtube.
ive bent back a couple of them. but be careful...it could make them structurally unsound.

Back