Western Flyer what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just picked this one up. Unknown year or model Western Flyer with twin tubes on the top and center. The fenders are peaked and the chainguard has some style too. I know the pics aren't the greatest but I'll get better ones soon. Any ideas on what model it could be?

I know it's hard to read in this pic but I swear it says Western Flyer!!

That reminds me of my wife's Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer
Figured hers was a mid 60s. Think yours has a different chainring.
This is the bike that started it all for me, traded 2 700x23c tires for it :D
WFKsSetup-1.jpg

Still have to straighten the fork yet :oops:

I found this pic here on the site from an older post by fastmunny...... It looks like mine but I cant see the top tubes. Been suring around looking for a pic but can't find one that looks over the bike......it's usually a straight on side shot.

0014c0f8.jpg

Yes, that's a Western Flyer badged bike, made by AMF. They also made the Roadmaster bikes of that time frame, late 60's early 70's by your chainring style. That's a WF headbadge for sure, and you may see a model name on the chain guard, it might need a light sanding to show the letters of the name.

Sorry, my has twin top tubes with the cantilever lower tubes merged and welded near the seat tube (like yours)
Here is a 1965 Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer ad but the twin top tubes end in front of the head tube (unlike ours)
http://musclebikeforums.com/reply/14118
Not sure how helpful that is...
Know for sure mine is a Galaxy Flyer
Good Luck!

I was thinking 60's & 70's too. But after some more searching I found one that looks close except for the tank.

That one was listed as a 1959 WF Rocket Flyer I think. It's the only one I've found so far that looks like the top tubes are side by side.

It's definately an AMF frame, although it's not a common one. I've seen a lot of twin top tubes on Ross and Murray, never seen them on an AMF. I found a women's version with the same headbadge:

2vwv0k3.jpg

The pedals look the same too. I don't know the year of that AMF, the serial numbers don't give the year, at least no one has figured them out yet, most go by certain features to get close to the age. The sprocket is the main identifying feature on your bike, that puts it mid to late 60's and into the 70's.

Here is another piece to the puzzle
Remembered seeing the chainring somewhere else, my triangle AMF Roadmaster
70sRoadmaster.jpg

Maybe helps confirm AMF?
Also have the same chainring on a triangle Kmart AllPro (same as in "Breaking Away")
Not sure who made them. Maybe that might put it late 60's?
Can't see it but it's also the same chain ring as my wife's WF above(whoever made them)

Cool find. Same bike for sure. Interested in seeing pics of that badge without paint. The closest I found out as far as ID-ing in pics is its a 60-65 Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer middleweight sn:j064658 on left rear droput. Here are some more pics of mine:
2eb7db81.jpg

283c6155.jpg

72251590.jpg

Back