Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was scanning CL the other night and saw this Western Flyer. Thought it looked interesting and the price was right, so I drove out to check it out. The bike wasn't too bad. It looks like it was damaged at one time on the top tube by the head tube. I love the way the frame is made. The bike had a nice old working headlight and came with front/rear racks. The front is a standard old Wald rack and I am not sure what the rear rack came off of. The wheels are in nice shape. The rear has a Komet hub made in Germany. The bike also has a nice set of Allstate whitewalls.

wf1.jpg

wf2.jpg

light3.jpg

Wow, that's in great shape! It's not your average WF, that's for sure! It has a Murray chainring, but the rest sure isn't! I'm thinking it might be a CBC/Ross built bike, and I don't think I've ever seen one before! Great score! -Adam

Yeah, the more I look at this bike, the more I like it. Like I said, the frame has a slight wave to the top bar and the fork looks a little off center from the top, but I am going to clean it up and bend on the fork and get make a sweet rider out of it. Not sure i fyou guys noticed, but that front sprocket is HUGE.

I "think" it is a '54 model maybe? The top tube says "Starfire". I am by no way a Murray expert, but the number is

MOT-W

Maybe someone might be able to date it for sure?

Thanks!

That can't be right! Murray had the pointed drop outs at that time. I know, I sold my '61 Meteor Flite.

I got the bike torn apart. While the top tube has been repaired, the frame is straight and good to go. The fork blades were off center and the front wheel is seriously in need of a truing. After a little wrestling and bending around, the front fork is spot on. I'll true both wheels this evening and then give the bike a good cleaning. The seat is pretty cool. It is a leather Troxel and still has the "Sears" price tag on the bottom although I can't read the price. I think I'll use the seat on something else and find a white seat like on the 60's Huffy middleweights.

Just as an aside I owned one of these as a kid. 1958-59. Front rack and headlight where standard with the bike as was the great green paint job. Rear rack must have been added later. Glad to see one survived in all it's geen glory.
Enjoy it.

That's a cool bike. My knees hurt just looking at that gearing though. Komet hubs are my favorite.

Thanks guys...it is a cool old bike. I did pull the rear rack off. I am planning to sell the bike locally (without the headlight) if anyone is interested. I really don't want to ship it at this point. I'll be posting it over in the buy/sell in a few days. The top tube does have a couple of waves near the headtube, but the bike is decent. Looking for $100 obo (or an even trade).....and yes, my knees hurt riding it!

Terry66 said:
Thanks guys...it is a cool old bike. I did pull the rear rack off. I am planning to sell the bike locally (without the headlight) if anyone is interested. I really don't want to ship it at this point. I'll be posting it over in the buy/sell in a few days. The top tube does have a couple of waves near the headtube, but the bike is decent. Looking for $100 obo (or an even trade).....and yes, my knees hurt riding it!

Where are you located?

Chips_Mahoy said:
Terry66 said:

Where are you located?

Dayton, Ohio. I could meet you over in Richmond if you wanted. Shoot me a PM.

Latest posts

Back