What are YOU building? Wrong answers only.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve seen several shopping cart bikes. I just happen to have an old shopping cart which I purchased years ago with the intent of making an off road cart. I happen to have a lot of old bikes. The black Shelby just happened to be easy to get out. This could be TrikeTor revisited…undecided.
A2D322EE-35D8-4E2F-AAE1-DE9F3EE0993F.jpeg
43047CCA-9D01-4291-9713-2B8F861D8F44.jpeg
D27D78CE-0F71-4649-BB9E-39823969C5E0.jpeg
A7C76AA7-2E4A-4E06-AD4F-EF3F064E7EEC.jpeg
81BE60BB-4286-4AE4-926C-F72E114B90D5.jpeg
45F359DD-82C7-4630-9F15-D17A7D4510C4.jpeg

How about a BMX grocery getter?

1651426970918.png

I'll be using an inter-dimensional slip streamer to move back forth between today, May 1st and Sept 5th to see who's winning and adjust my build accordingly.

Merle.
Do you remember the story of the Chrysler building?

They wanted to be the tallest, and they built a spire hidden inside the tower that they erected by jacking it up through the roof at the last day.

But they didn’t realize that the Empire State building hadn’t released the last 2% of its plans (which involve the radio tower and lantern on the top of the building) and when they constructed that soon afterChrysler, it was no longer the tallest.

Sic transit Gloria.

With that in mind I’m not going to try to bother winning anything. I’m going to build but I want to ride, and if you guys like it that’s a bonus.

This will almost certainly turn out to be a lie. A Lengthy Insanity is my presumptive project. It could be the result for me as well. I am too busy to do this. (Or should be.)
737F11AF-6E4E-4D7F-AB9D-BB5B8AF02688.jpeg

It’s long and bizarre, which means it will be heavy, UNLESS I can figure out the aluminum TIG process, and be clever in the construction.

So to make this work, the fender is reinforced to be structural, and welded in.

Ultimately, my chances of becoming a proficient aluminum welder in the in the next few months are slim. It might be I take advantage of the “change the bike once rule” and switch the design to steel or change the design a lot.

Something that didn’t come through on this drawing is the filler panel between the top tube and the bottom (down) tube of the forward frame.

Without that panel welded in (or at least some portions of it as gusseting) this will be too flimsy. This will need to have some reinforcement around the shifter position, or the bottom bracket could be wobbly.

Maybe a structural chain guard . . .

I’ve shown this with some drag bars mounted on tall dogbones and a custom style Earls Fork. I didn’t draw the trees.

It’s rigid down to the eyes which mount the back of the front fender, And it bends back a bit to meet the tail of the fender.

That fender is the structural rocker/fork, and is sprung from the rigid tubes.

The thing about the Earl’s fork is it carries the weight down very low, as the suspension units are right at the axle.
A9416AD4-3988-43B7-BC3D-05FE2E18D45B.jpeg

Unfortunately they are traditionally ugly, which is why I though “a pretty one would be a challenge.”

I think this would be a lot of fun to build but I’m right in the middle of building a frame for a car, which I interrupted to change the clutch on my motorcycle, and my truck needs some work, so maybe next year. LoL

Well I should be working on Dead Space but no, I'm working on Harlequin T. Got the Tamale Ride this coming Sunday and I'm rolling on my "not a burrito". I had to go get it from the other garage across town. So this pic is from today.
IMG_20220517_182133.jpg

Yeah it's a 3 on the tree. But needs some brake fluid. Today the 3 spd coaster shifts but no brakes! I did bring back some pieces for Dead Space so I guess it's ok.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back