What did I get besides rust?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this Schwinn balloon tire bike today. Not sure exactly what it is.
Serial number appears to be B99164.
Previous owner thought it was factory set up for a whizzer motor with the heavy duty spokes and the way the frame is made.
This has the ultra cool plane & train head badge.
If anyone knows what year this is or what model it is I would like to know.
Also I need a tank...is this one correct for this bike?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Late-40 ... 1c3488aa53
Thanks in advanced.
Pat

52 or 57, some numbers repeated. Was the number on the dropout or BB? That tank will fit, if it came off a 26" bike and yours is 26".

Older than 52, probably late 40's. High end bike, all deluxe parts. Nice find.

What about the frame says whizzer? I am not seeing that.

He pointed out that the frame had this dimple in it which he claims would have been set up for a whizzer. But I don't know what he knows about bikes. He also told me this was a pre war bike which it clearly is not.
Look for the red arrow.

OK, now I see... isn't there something strange going on with that rear fender left side toward front, some kind of relief?

Yes, mid to late 40's since the serial is on the BB, but the records before 48 were burned, so it's a guess going by the first letter, if the years before 48 went in the same order. 48 began with D, so your's is at least a year earlier. That indentation is right where the hoop for the whizzer drive belt goes in the wheel.

I will try to get the crank pulled on this sometime this weekend. Then I will know for sure.

I believe you have a Whizzer WZ framed bike. Here's some Data that might prove useful. Is there a welded on piece for the brake arm to attach to? Also the extra brazing or welding near the seat tube, I think was indicative of being meant for frame strengthening.

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... -bike-info

018_zps58a48365.jpg

I don't see anything welded for the brake but I do see where the frame has been strengthened by the seat post. I will get a picture of that later. The rack has six holes also.

Here's a pic of the Brake Strap I was talking about earlier. There was a problem with the brakes being set up in the traditional way a bicycle was set up.

Schwinn/Whizzer frames have a WZ serial number prefix. That looks like it started out a standard B6. Tank removed and deluxe guard switched to accommodate whizzer parts. You could make one cool rat whizzer out of the thing. Get a motor! Gary

Thanks for the links.
Even though adding a motor would be fun I don't think it's in my budget.
I will keep it rusty for now. Who knows maybe sometime in the future I will do more with this bike.
I did see a 1946 whizzer motor on eBay.

Such a sweet bike, even if it didn't start life as a motored bike. I'd agree that the wheels were switched out from a Whizzer bike as well since Schwinn used drop center rims before 1948 with the introduction of the S-2.

Also, it may be the angle of the picture but it looks like you have the famous tapered kickstand that is indicative of 1946 only.

I was watching ↑ tank but it got too expensive.
I did get some work done on this bike tonight.
I got the new tires installed, rebuilt the rear hub and replaced the bottom bracket.
Now it rides like a dream and looks great too.

Back