what do ya think? tentitive build, looking for opinions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apes are good too. but id go with some shorter ones. :) nothing wrong with a free budget.

i was hoping to do some prep work today, but i have a naked cop in the basement. (well 1/2 naked) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the front engine dragster look is the way to go too. it allows you to do a lot of cool things to the bike that make it more like an old digger.... you get to put a big long drag link on the steering, for one. I think with the seat back like that, you'll be able to wheelie like MAD! With that in mind, I think the cranks are ok at almost pedal scraping height, I mean you should be taking it EASY around corners anyways. You ARE driving a dragster, right? You should really be wheelieing non- stop the rest of the time anyways :p I think the low cranks will make it more natural to ride DURING the wheelie too. While I'm giving you opinions, I think you should kick that head rake back too. make it have proper caster, the castered out steering is an essential part of the dragster look, I think.

...And a parachute maybe?

I totally want to build one of these for myself now! awesome ideas so far.

the obvious solution is to build both! if you do the drag bike, it might look like an upsid-down and backwards recumbent. if you go the digger route, may i suggest making a batwing, drag-style steering wheel. i dont know how else to describe it, but i bet you know what i mean. i think either one would be cool, cant wait to see your next post!

onelesspedestrian said:
I think the front engine dragster look is the way to go too. it allows you to do a lot of cool things to the bike that make it more like an old digger.... you get to put a big long drag link on the steering, for one. I think with the seat back like that, you'll be able to wheelie like MAD! With that in mind, I think the cranks are ok at almost pedal scraping height, I mean you should be taking it EASY around corners anyways. You ARE driving a dragster, right? You should really be wheelieing non- stop the rest of the time anyways :p I think the low cranks will make it more natural to ride DURING the wheelie too. While I'm giving you opinions, I think you should kick that head rake back too. make it have proper caster, the castered out steering is an essential part of the dragster look, I think.

...And a parachute maybe?

I totally want to build one of these for myself now! awesome ideas so far.

do it! and i'll race ya for pinks! :)
some awesome idea's there (some i've considered, some i didn't even think of) the paracute is a must! :)
when i started the concept build, the idea was to come up with something totally new and different for the rrbo. i'm mean we see tones of cutting edge stuff every year, but most seem to fall into the board track, muscle or beach cruiser catagory.
wanted to get ya thinking outside the box. now the flood gates are open, i'm walking a very fine line between custom dragster and rrbo entry.
most of it i can do, but things like changing the headtube geometry are er

begging me to move beyond the limitations of the rrbo rules.
(i'm trying to follow the rules but you guys are making it tough.)

i did have a novel idea. (tell me what ya think) online dragster races. :D
first the challange (challenge a fellow racer via email/ pm)
measure out your track (say 100 yards)
the race (with the help of a friend, race against the clock and video it)
then it would be a simple case (for those with wacky box skills) of slicing the 2 vid's together for the head to head online race. :) (post vid's here or on you tube)

X-RAY said:
if you go the digger route, may i suggest making a batwing, drag-style steering wheel. i dont know how else to describe it, but i bet you know what i mean. i think either one would be cool, cant wait to see your next post!

i know exactly what you mean, and you couldn't be more on the ball. i wonder how hard it would be to get my mits on an old vintage drag wheel?

Great idea, why not make the rear section (wheelie bar and rear wheel) a bolt on unit, heavy duty, then you can still follow the rules for the rrbo? Building a steering wheel like the old dragsters had is pretty easy if you have some flat stock, we made one for a buddies gocart looked okay, but we should have used a little heavier metal. I'll keep watching this build, I really like the idea.

the old school ones arent that hard to find. theres some on ebay now for 30-40 bucks. i think that would be the icing on the cake for the bike. :D

oh yeah, the wheelie bars are gonna be bolt on (supporting the wheel)
i've decided this is gonna be my test version. if it works out well i might build one completely from scratch. (after the rrbo)
gathering parts for a while now
IMG_3082-1.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

and look at all the room for a chute and fin (not to mention extra leverage) :) ;) ;)
IMG_3079-1.jpg

btw, you guys have been a huge inspiration over the last couple of years.
if your considering building a dragster for the rrbo, do it! i would take that as the highest form of compliment, not think it was an intention to rip off my idea. besideds, you guys have been key in the design.

just throwing this out there but if you relocate the pedals a little higher and further up front like a recumbent you you could really get her ripping down the street.....

you still can! you could add some tubing an brackets to drop the frame without modifying it! build off! :mrgreen:

stretch said:
you still can! you could add some tubing an brackets to drop the frame without modifying it! build off! :mrgreen:

i think me and a budy are gonna rip out a little coffin go-cart instead. (well i don't know exactly how little) :) i think i have a 440 snow mobile engine around here somewhere. :)

i sure hope this build off starts soon, i'm iching to go.
IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3076_2.jpg

i knew those 2' cut offs would come in handy eventually. :)
not many things left to find, i did hit the wreckers yesterday to see if i could find an old drag style steering wheel. hours of searching resulted in nothin.

i may have a spare 13inch 3 spoke steering wheel hanging around i am not using for a trade or purchase i will take a pic and see if you like it ........ if i can find it.....

well now i've gone and blown the budget. :(

running total, $1.25 (dollar store led keychain)

IMG_3080-1.jpg

a dragular needs to be creepy. :)

well it just figures. i've been saving this frame for 2 years for the rrbbo. now that the time is getting close, i don't know if i'll have time to compete.
i'm basicly booked solid, every weekend till the middle of june (pool playoffs,hosting bachelor party,best man in a wedding,groomsman in a second wedding, na's b-day and a months worth of cottage reno's 5 hours north of me.)

seems when it rains it pours. lol gonna do my best to make good on the build, but only time will tell.
trying to get as much prep work finished ahead of time, as possible. not to worry, i have big plans for the bike after the build off officially starts. it will still take on a major transformation.
hey, i thought an april first start date had already been mentioned earlier in the year. am i off my rocker or did it get changed?

anyhoo, here's what i've been up to. can't wait to ride it, i'm sure its gonna throw me eventually. :)
IMG_3094-2.jpg

IMG_3095-1.jpg

I like the concept. It looks like it's going somewhere fast. I'll stay tuned. Great idea.

oh it turns. works fantastic. even though the forks pivot in the head tube, the actual pivot spot is dirrectly under the front axle. (bottom of the tire) the tire won't drag, the frame will actually sway from side to side.
notice the position of the tire doesn't change much from a full left turn to full right turn. (the frame does all the traveling)
IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3099.jpg

i am thinking i will have to limit the amount of travel so i don't ever jack knife the forks.

Back