What do you make of this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got this Le Tour for free and am in the process of converting it to single speed since the derailer is really krusty. Sorry for the pix, i took them from my phone...
1112102128.jpg

Then I notice this:
1113101500.jpg

Has anybody else ever had a rim do this before?

Thanks,

Jon

Cool bike. I would swap the wheels though; I wouldn't trust 85 lbs. of air pressure on that rim. I've never seen something like that before. :?

They're just wheels though -- the bike is sweet! Single speed all the way. :D Aluminum crank too?

I was told the bike had been stored in a barn or a shed, but all of the crome is pretty well pitted so it has me thinking otherwise. Yes it has aluminum cranks as well. The whole bike is pretty light once all of the unnecessary stuff is taken off. Do you think that the rim could be repaired? Such as in weld the holes???

Thanks,

Jon

Brand new 27" steel wheels are about $45-60 new (pair). Tires are $10 each new.

EDIT- OOPS!

Beau said:
Brand new 27" steel wheels are about $4560 new (pair). Tires are $10 each new.
Hey Beau, you must be shopping at the wrong bike shop! I wouldn’t pay much more than $3,000 for a pair of wheels. :p (Just messin' with ya!)

Jon, don't weld on those rims. Beau is right. Replace them.

all my buddys that weld have stories about people wanting rusted stuff welded for them. no matter how good you are, the sad truth is you just cant weld rust. once you try to clean up the area to be welded, its usually much worse than it first appeared.if it is attempted, the welder usually blows holes through the rusted metal. its just not worth the time to try. and its definately not worth compromizing your safety! an old rotted chaingaurd, id say try it, nothing to lose. but never a wheel like that. sorry to sound negative, just want you to be safe. 8)

I cant really tell whats wrong, but all I can tell you is, Thats wrong.

I say get a new wheel, and stress the wheels with your hands, that or cut it, to see what actually could have happened...I find it quite interesting, ive never seen anything like it. Just be careful if you do anything.

i have some n.o.s. schwinn rims. i will look and see what size they are. it is just the rim, they would have to be laced up but it would be the ticket for that good looking letour! :wink:

Most of these bikes came with Le Tour derailleurs and cranks. Any standard dropout mount will work.

Back