What grease for a Bendix hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
What kind of grease should I use when rebuilding a Bendix rear 1 speed coaster hub?

Would regular auto wheel bearing grease work?

i've used Park Tool grease, Synthetic automotive grease (Valvoline #985 is what i'm using now), NAPA Grease (#75-601)...i think any EP grease will work.

I forgot to grease the shoes on a bike once (my own)...literally smoked the hub...wish I had a camera that day.

White lithium based grease is the stuff you need it is perfect for the job.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mat

The grease that was in it was this thick brown grease that looks just like wheel bearing grease.

I have that and some white lithium grease so I was hoping one of those would work. If not, I'll have to buy something. :cry:

Funny you should ask. Just minutes ago I sat here in the cool of the living room and reassembled a Bendix hub for my current project. I just use Penzoil wheel bearing grease on everything.
If it were a bike I would be riding a lot I might use something different.

It's the hub on the plastic mags I'm rebuilding. The brake shoes were in 4 pieces instead of 2 that I'm used to. Never seen that before.

Rat Rod said:
The grease that was in it was this thick brown grease that looks just like wheel bearing grease.

I have that and some white lithium grease so I was hoping one of those would work. If not, I'll have to buy something. :cry:
that thick brown grease might be old wheel bearing grease...either that you have will work, but of the two, i'd use the White Lithium (also, as already stated)

Back