What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Duck heard a ruckus down by the canal, so we had to investigate.
IMG_20240304_165409885.jpg

Hasn't even completely thawed yet, the crazy geese are standing on the ice.
IMG_20240304_165309526.jpg

They don't care that we're going to be covered in snow again, flocks of hundreds are coming in.
IMG_20240304_165225774.jpg

PS that old house in the background with the boarded up windows is 100% haunted.

Hahaha I can definitely relate, had to top up the tires on ThundrrrJr's Electra. I used the floor pump, felt like it took half an hour, and they're only 20x3!

Cimarron looks nice, well equipped for any terrain

Exactly!! My nearly 30 year old pump is kinda worn out & a workout on normal tires. It only needed 5psi but that's much different with that much volume 😂 😂

My friend's Cimarron is nice & freshly built. I like the fat ends of the top & down tubes at the head tube. Parts have little wear but frame has a few chips in paint. Think it's gonna be for sale.🤷‍♂️

I've been on the Giant Fastroads with some new bits.

And they are the weirdest handlebars I've ever fitted, but they are also really comfortable with the Brooks Cambium grips and seat.

Carbon fibre 'Crossbows' - very slightly heavier than the CF stem and bars they replace, but having the headlight centred out front appeals to my OCD for that sort of thing, and I have options for mounting a torch for night time riding that doesn't look too goofy - or the Knog LED for day visibility.

The very slight rise and back sweep are much better tall-ergo-wise than the straight flat bars I had on it. Too many graphics, but I think they suit it.

cb1.jpg

cb2.jpg

cb3.jpg
cb4.jpg
cb5.jpg

Took the Warrior to work today. It sits higher then I'm used to and I like that, unless I forget to lean the bike to one side when I stop. Top bar stands about 1 inch higher then the bottom of the zipper on my jeans. Probably going to put an old school BMX pad on it. Lol.
On the way home this evening the rear hub started rattling pretty bad when I coast, so I will be teaching myself how to service that this week.
IMG_20240309_150720354~2.jpg
IMG_20240309_150630167~2.jpg

Went klunkin' on my '61 Murray Meteor Flite Shoestring last Wednesday. Found an awesome gravel trail close to home that's just perfect for a beginner like me! Didn't ride the full trail as it was late in the day, but I intend to go back and ride the full distance next time.
Shoestring_klunkin_at_nsu_8.jpg

Went klunkin' on my '61 Murray Meteor Flite Shoestring last Wednesday. Found an awesome gravel trail close to home that's just perfect for a beginner like me! Didn't ride the full trail as it was late in the day, but I intend to go back and ride the full distance next time.
View attachment 260302
That bike is what I believe my black bike I just put the springer forks on might be. No helpful info from the serial number, no head badge and can't make out the faint remnants of the chaingard stencil. Only info the serial number yielded
was that it was built anywhere between 1959 and 1963.

IMG_20230930_110656085_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20231014_105402511~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_110733658_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230930_110733658_HDR~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230930_110705785_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20230930_110705785_HDR~3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
That bike is what I believe my black bike I just put the springer forks on might be. No helpful info from the serial number, no head badge and can't make out the faint remnants of the chaingard stencil. Only info the serial number yielded
was that it was built anywhere between 1959 and 1963.

View attachment 260311
View attachment 260312
It could be be a Meteor Flite, but I don't know. One thing I do know is that bike's definitely a Murray, and a nice one at that!

Swapped the wheels and seat off the brown girls Hiawatha and rode the 1947 Monark to work this morning. I'll be looking for correct wheels for this as well as parts or replacement for the headlight and new horn guts. And it needs a new rear rack, one side of the front mounting bracket is broken off. And the right crank arm is bent in slightly l. And I have Schwinn pedals on it for now. Still a fun bike to ride.
IMG_20240312_055736503.jpg

It could be be a Meteor Flite, but I don't know. One thing I do know is that bike's definitely a Murray, and a nice one at that!
The front fender has what's left of the ornament pictured below and I can only find it on a couple pictures of the Sonic Flight online and a repop ornament on eBay for a Sonic Flight. But that could have been added later as well.
Screenshot_20240314-125247.png

Mine has a different rear fender then this one and both should have a long narrow tank. So the exact model will probably stay a mystery.
Screenshot_20240314-125808.png

Went for a ride this morning on Chrome Molly. The wife was on her Red Tiger.
This is the Alava Pier, a legendary place where the Navy ships tied up over the years, giving sailors their first taste of overseas liberty. Any sailor from the 50's to the 90's will know this place and probably have tales to tell.
Alava Pier 16 Mar 2024.jpg

Latest posts

Back