What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3627.jpeg
IMG_3654.jpeg

GT/Harley Davidson rat built E-bike
IMG_6648.jpeg
IMG_6651.jpeg

State U-Haul Skinny Tire bike
IMG_6668.jpeg
IMG_6671.jpeg

Funny story-three weeks after I purchased my insanely under-priced Sun EZ at a storage auction...a pin holding the U-bolt to the transmission shaft on my Chevy S-10 gave way and the entire drive shaft went 'CLANG!' on the highway...

(Okay, maybe not so funny per se...)

Most of the local so-called mechanics in this area prefer 'skimming the cream' from the Tourists with easy work...so the few really good ones are constantly booked, so...two weeks without a car.

Good news though-my newly-christened Easy Rider was up to the challenge! I laughed at having 21 gears before-but all that variety let me optimize the heck out of the terrain without turning my legs into shredded rags and even let me build them up a bit! Twelve miles to the Post Office and back every day (with package deliveries in-between)...eight miles to and back from the nearest shopping center...a mere three miles to a local station with the best cheap meals from 6AM to 2PM, and a local Grocery on the opposite side of the road...Easy Rider and I did some pretty serious miles in 90-97 Degree humid weather, put on a Tennis Brim for the refreshing rain (I wear glasses, need them rain-free) and kept plenty of water on hand...

I missed my Chevy S-10-but it was good to know what I could do without it-and after a relatively inexpensive repair (one pin replacement, all other parts still good!) I made a few changes to the bike:

1) Why in God's Green Earth did Sun make the trike out of square steel rail-and then try to save a few ounces with a non-suspended soft aluminum front rim? After a sharp rock left a deep gouge in the soft rim (resulting in a slow leak once I was home) I replaced the entire thing with a donor wheel off a $5 Spidey Bike-Real Steel Me Googies! The rim was a quarter-inch wider than the original, so I found some smaller brake blocks and adjusted accordingly. The wider rim/tire combo also gave my a much-needed extra half-inch clearance on my derailleur! Thinking about giving my (beefier but still aluminum) rear wheels the same Steely treatment if I can find a decent set I like...

2) Having two baskets makes for awesome cargo capacity-but not when it gets in the way of my Bike Light (which I needed at 5AM pretty badly) Also, the massive Tool Bag I tied to my back seat took room in my back basket that I could have used elsewhere...so now I have two exterior bags mounted to the outside of my rear basket, a small Tool bag between the handlebars, cup holder at the bottom of same, plenty of clearance for my light mount and a coated brass bell loud enough that CARS can hear it! :21:

3) I rapidly found out that standard mirrors were useless in traffic with these handlebars(I already know where my left shoulder is, thank you), so on my first Day Off I pedaled 25 miles to my nearest Bike Shop for better. The three hour round trip was worth it though-my new High-rise mirror sees you clear as day over 400feet away...

4) Now that I have my Chevy back i'm mostly carrying Easy Rider to Atlantic Beach-with those awesome Multi-use Pathways for miles-but it's good to know I can brave the Hwy 24 and Hwy 70 Death Corridors if need be!

Attachments

• EZ Rider2.jpg
    EZ Rider2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • EZ Rider1.jpg
    EZ Rider1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
From a couple of days ago. Late day ride after being cooped up with Kung flu. Love the long shadows on this.

1000024557.jpg
1000024556.jpg
1000024555.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_6676.jpeg
IMG_6679.jpeg
IMG_6678.jpeg

Basic stock Willy…hanging in garage too long.

I took my Kustom Kruiser for Bike Night since there was a good chance of rain & it's my favorite to ride when it does. Great fenders, nice & low to put a foot down if cornering too fast.🤓
IMG_20240807_192556275.jpg

My friends Keith on his Autocycle rat on left & Mike on his 29" Bassett(serial #1). Great night for a ride & stayed dry the whole time!:thumbsup:

I couldn't live with the flat bars on the '82 Pug, so I went back to the cruiser style. They are heaps more comfortable for the taller gentleman. The Sunrace rear derailleur has fixed the gear skipping issues I was having and it's a blast to hook in on again. It's just such a feel good bike to be aboard. Steel is real. Particularly the shiny bits.

I also got some nicer white Rock Bros grips for it- to go with the look.

pugbars.jpg

Rail Explorers dot net

A rail bike service in 6 locations around the USA.

Boone Iowa. Runs on the Boone Scenic Rail line that goes over a 156ft high trestle and another lower trestle over the Des Moines river. 12.6 miles out and back. About 2 hours. The 4 wheelers are electric. You pedal to turn on the motor. 2 seaters or 4 seaters. Bring ear plugs and snacks! Reservations needed as they sell out nearly every run of about 60 people. By random chance we were first to start, and last to return so we weren't 'stuck in traffic' of the 20 bikes. They have a mini turntable at the far end to reverse the vehicles. Some railroad relics along the route. Lots of trees and some wildlife. There are sunset rides too. Weekends seem to sell out well in advance. Runs through October.

IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2891.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2887.JPG

Latest posts

Back