what headset?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
could anyone tell me what headset to use with:
- a Schwinn DX B6 Hornet
- a Columbia prewar frame
I have some 1" 1/8 to 1" reducers but they won't fit (as they did on a JC Higgins, and then I could fit a 1" headset)
I may be asking something obvious here but please bear with me, I live in France :roll: (where these bikes were never available)
Thanks a lot
cheers
beng

Sizes for post war are mostly the BMX/OPC size, but the stem size varies slightly mostly in the top nut. For pre-ware I have seen some that would tak a headset closer to the 1 1/8" threaded cup sizes, however the steerer is still a 21.5/22.2mm without alterations to the inside of the head tube. I have an Elgin Oriole probably from teh 30s like that, way too big for 1", probably had a custom size will need massagin to use a 1 1/8" though. The pre-wars are definitely a lot looser on tolerances, you can really tell that WWII had a dramatic effect on manufacturing methods.

Steerer O.D. /Stem diameter(Steerer I.D.)/Crown race/Inside diameter Frame Cup

One Piece Crank (O.P.C.) bikes
1" /21.15 mm or 22mm/ 26.4 mm(sometimes 27mm on late model cruisers ISO size)/ 32.7 mm Used mainly on bicycles with one-piece cranks, also some early mountain bikes.

1 1/8"/ 28.6 mm)/ 1" (25.4 mm)/ 30.0 mm/ 34.0 mm

Check out sheldon brown's site for more info

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

Back