what if I made replica truss rods available?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wingman said:
Hey the rods them selves are an easy build. Focus on Making a nice clamp. thats the hard part.
Also would you offer them Chrome or Raw ??

Chrome? Is that important?

Curious.

To some folks yes Im sure it would be. Me I like both Black Paint & chrome.
If ya cant make it haul assprin, Chrome it yano.
& besides that is the kind of questions your going to be asked if you follow through on your Idea.
Again, The Bracket is the bugger to make for most folks here not the rods .... Chromed or Raw, Pink or whatever.
Sorr6y I might not have said what you wanted to hear but I also thought you asked ????

Wingman said:
To some folks yes Im sure it would be. Me I like both Black Paint & chrome.
If ya cant make it haul assprin, Chrome it yano.
& besides that is the kind of questions your going to be asked if you follow through on your Idea.
Again, The Bracket is the bugger to make for most folks here not the rods .... Chromed or Raw, Pink or whatever.
Sorr6y I might not have said what you wanted to hear but I also thought you asked ????

No, it's all good. And yes, I asked.

I'm not going to pretend I am a real fabricator, but I could go outside and have a moch up in not too long.

Drill press, torch, bench grinder, hammer and anvil, tap set.

Only thing I don't have is the anvil but a table vise would probably work.

The single most important thing you need is beer. Already had 3 of those. :)

My $0.02 - the post-war design (rods clamped together in one point) is boring, and is already available through Electra, and others.

Get funky with some futuristic meets retro, pre-war split rod set up and draw some attention!

if you are gonna do it, might as well make it UNIQUE!

You need chrome vats to make numbers with something like that, or get chromed tubing. A few different lengths with very slight slotting means the short size uses less material, part is stronger, fits better. :wink:

bombshelterbikes said:
My $0.02 - the post-war design (rods clamped together in one point) is boring, and is already available through Electra, and others.

Get funky with some futuristic meets retro, pre-war split rod set up and draw some attention!

if you are gonna do it, might as well make it UNIQUE!

I'm hearing you, bro. And listening.

another vote for side mounted truss rods, and something like a cross brace with an optional lamp mounting tab would be cool in my book

Memory Lane sells repo truss rods for Schwinn springers made from stainless. I bought a pair and they were $15 or $20. Can't remember which. They are dead ringers for the originals. Gary

I really like the idea of producing the 'Harley-style' springer pictured.
I'm no fabricator (of bike parts anyway :roll: ) just a 'wanna be' bike designer/dreamer, but when I look at that fork I see a Murray-style ballooner fork, with 2 fabbed 'extensions' for the rear fork (they could be made from the legs of an old set of bent forks, they don't even need to curve in) and a Raleigh (or other) road fork with the fork tube cut off for front fork.
Split the road fork, weld in a section of the discarded fork tube as a spacer (these have to fit around 2.125 tires or bigger) and use two pieces of all-thread or some long lag bolts that some porch swing springs would slide over. All you need then is an 'H' shaped plate at the top (with light mounts as a bonus)and some simple rockers at the bottom to tie the two forks together.

Come to think of it, you could make a 'skinny' version for running a narrow front tire on those 'old school' chopper bikes!

While a little more 'involved' than making truss rods, a 'new' springer alternative would be a welcome addition to our hobbyb (how many of us have looked at the new Abraham Linkage fork on Felt's site, huh?). These would also be popular with the growing group of folks building motorized bicycles. Look how many of Monark copies are being purchased and rewelded by those who know better.

On top of that, you'd be 'green' by making good use of all those 'skinny' forks out there by recycling them as springers! :wink:

Just brainstormin' instead of workin; on a Monday afternoon.... :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Dr. T

LoneWolf,

Since you were a designer for CM; I am sure your final design will be way cool & unique. I believe quality & great design are deserving of a price equal to it, without breaking the bank.

Can't wait to see your final design.

Rat Rod found a springer that is about what I was going for. Cheap too $89.99 Thought I'd share it.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30978

Back