What is a Strandle Bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Klunker, Bomber, BMX Cruiser, Strandie.

So nearly the same thing that often only a single part or intended use separates them.
Very true. People will argue until they are blue in the face but in the end they all roll and bring us that joy

The Strand is a spot
the-strand-map.jpg

Strandies were bikes made in Cali for cruisin the spot. Think 80s BMX beach vibes. Here's the Encyclopedia Strandica:
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=446554&p=1Be warned. 381 pages of bikes you will want, but can't find or afford.

So nearly the same thing that often only a single part or intended use separates them
A lot is the intended use. The history is also a part, kinda imparts a vibe somehow. Strandies are BMX cruisers, but some feel they need to be California manufactured to have the strandie feel. I've seen considerable argument concerning the Jamis Earth Cruisers because of their Florida provenance.
As for bombers vs klunkers, the gears are the thing. Bombers were 1 speed for bombing down and pushing up. Klunkers had gears to eliminate the pushing

This is why definitions are a trap. It's really hard to be concise, inclusive, and accurate.

There were 'strands' and boardwalks where these bikes were popular in multiple places. SoCal, sure... Florida, yes... NJ, yep... Galveston area, check...and many, many others. I've never heard anyone until now say a bike wasn't a strandie unless it came from SoCal. I don't doubt that you've seen/heard such a discussion, but I've not...or I've auto-ignored it... that's possible. In the super late 70s and early 80s nearly every major, and many minor, manufacturers were making these things.

The big separation, for me, between a strandie and a loosely defined BMX cruiser are the bars. Strandies have cruiser bars, sometimes with a crossbar, but still cruiser bars.

Klunkers/clunkers existed before gearing became popular...geared klunkers are referred to as hybrids, a sub-type or evolution of the klunker.

Bombers are tough... according to Bonds, HD front brakes are the only real difference between a bomber and a non-hybrid klunker. Bonds mentions two speed bombers as well.

The important thing is to remember that it is all history, not rules. Everything has gotten away from what it was, these original creations have inspired thousands of variants on their respective themes. Everything is Ratrod, everything is bikes

Back