What is it

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Hopefully this isn't the wrong place. And seeing as how you guys seem to know your bikes I thought I would post pics of my bike to help figure out what it is here. I believe it to be a Westfiled Clipper between 36-42. The crank which I now see from pics on here isn't mounted right. looks the same as the 42 westfield on how to post pictures in this section. Here goes with my pics.

Whole bike....yeh I need a back wheel
P1030432.jpg

Here's the tank...to the left of the screw it looks like some sort of circle with three curved lines coming from it. The Circle almost looked like it had a face or image of sorts.
P1030443.jpg

Hears the crank as you can see they used the wrong slots when it was put together last. Or at least they are different than the picture of the 42 on here.
P1030444.jpg

Serial number...the first number/leetter actually looks like an updside down 1 and the seperate number is I think 21
P1030438.jpg

seat or what's left of it.
P1030435.jpg

Other side of the tank
P1030437.jpg

Horn/light which I saw on a 36 columbia somewhere in my searches
P1030434.jpg

Head badge
P1030433.jpg

I see the whole serial number didn't show up as it cut the right of the picture off..I must have to resize or something. Anytway the #21 is stamped sideways to the right of the number when looking at the number.

Try the website called the Cabe (classic and antique bicycle exchange). Those guys will give you a full breakdown of the history and year. Great bike though!

Yes Frameteam Colson also made a clipper but I'm pretty sure this is a Westfield built bike. Thanks Slick I'll try that site out

Cheers

Thanks Slick

I went on the CABE told them Slick sent me and found it is a late 1936 CWC built bike. Did a search on CWC and found a 37 on luxlow.com with pretty much the same paint scheme called a roadmaster delux or something or should I say what the paint scheme should look like. The front sprocket was changed which was one of the things throwing me in my search that and I saw the same Clipper head badge on ebay that said it was off a Westfield. Hmmm maybe they changed sprocket and headbadge at the same time...Now to decide which bike to Rat and which to restore

Anyways thanks for your help guys

Glad I could help out. In my opinion, I don't think i'd restore this bike. It's really kool as is. That sunburst paint scheme on the tank is kool that it's still visible like that. I would find a rusty, patina'd rear wheel to match, a dropstand, and some new blackwall tires and cruise it! Or you could offer to sell it to me???

Yeh I think im gonna leave this one much tha same as it is. Actually the old old Bull Dog Balloons that came with the bike are in extremely good shape. I'm hoping just to have to use new tubes. I'll not likely be able to find an original drop stand around here, I'll hav to source it out of the States. I did have this bike on the back of my 66 truck at a ratrod car show with a "wanted back wheel"sign and a guy there thinks he can hook me up with a wheel and a saddle I didn't think to ask about the stand. If you like this bike you'd probaly like my old truck to. Thanks again Slick and we hope to post some more as I get it going again.

Oh and I'm thinking the sunburst thing is supposed to be a comet. That's what the front sprocket is supposed to have comets in it as well and there are comets on the chain guard also. I guess the front sprocket is supposed to be 1 inch pitch...is that also what they call skiptooth?

cheers

Kool! Ya, the pitch is the spacing of how far the teeth are apart from each other. Every skiptooth I have run across is 1" pitch. I actually might have the correct sprocket you need. Let me check and see. Maybe we can trade for the one that's on the bike? I'll get back to you tomorrow. Chris

I think I'll have to hang on to the sprocket at least til I get whatever it needs to get going. Cause I'll probaly end up finding a 1/2 inch pitch back wheel before I get the skip tooth stuff. However if I get everything I need to change it over I would send you the other one no problem

Back