What is NOS?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, don't laugh, but I don't know. What does NOS stand for? I assume it has something to do with being an original used part. Just wondering as I have an original used Schwinn Westwind tire(26x1 3/4 for S-7) and wonder if NOS would be an appropriate description in a classified ad.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

It stands for New Old Stock....meaning, unused inventory that isn't in necessarily "new" condition. A lot of times the box that it comes in is beat up and the part may have defects like scratches and such from being moved around in the warehouse. On the other hand, there are instances of NOS parts that are in mint condition, including the packaging...just depends.

It also stands for Nitrous Oxide :mrgreen:

Further to RR’s explanation, the term originates from the world of restoration, (regardless of what is being restored – cars, bikes, whatever).

“NOS” is usually used regarding parts that are no longer manufactured. Imagine a part for a car that was made in 1970 sitting in the dealers stockroom for the last 37 years. It’s old stock, but has never been used, thus it’s New Old Stock. RR’s right that being NOS doesn’t guarantee that a part is in mint condition.

The term is also overused and abused. Why? Because “NOS” has become considered the holy grail when it comes to parts, thus NOS = big $$$. So, you end up with people manipulating the meaning to suit their needs. A quick trip through any restoration discussion group will show the endless arguments caused by this.

I’ll go out on a limb here and suggest that NOS doesn’t carry a lot of weight around this neck o’ th’ woods :D

Link to a more indepth description:

http://www.audiotubes.com/nos.htm

-Mp

Back