what is the best front drum part?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No currently-manufactured bicycle drum brake I've heard of has good stopping power. I've even bought a Worksman bike new that had one. Functionally, the front drum brake was ,,,,uh,,,, "lacking".

I tried different stuff to help it, but the main problem is that the whole brake-actuator arm mechanism is thin and flexy. The only way I could see to fix it would be to machine a whole new actuator side that was stronger.

What I have heard of motorized bicycle guys doing is using moped hubs instead.
They are a hassle to obtain and much heavier, but then again--the bearings are pretty much bombproof for a bicycle. And the brakes are actually functional.

--------

If you were doing something and had to have axle brakes but wanted to stick with bicycle parts, I would take a look at the Shimano roller brakes. These have the lowest braking power when compared to disks or rim brakes, but they're still way more powerful than the drum I've seen.
~

The Sturmley Archer Fxsomething is ok and cost about 70. I learned there are basically two types of drum brakes one is single pivot the better one is dual pivot(the pivots are inside the drum). I don't think having just one drum brake up front will really give enough stopping power. But as the brake wears in a bit it does get better. Really helps to secure the cable, cuz it's long and flexes, and the type of brake lever kinda matters too. This topic comes up a lot, let me know how it goes
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19040

I went with a moped front drum from a salvage yard. Cheap and it really works well. The axle is 11mm though, and I had to open up the fork ends to accomodate it. If I had a heavier brake lever and cable it would be capable of throwing you over the handlebars. As is, with regular bike lever and cable, it stops my heavyweight ballooner just fine and I rarely use my rear coaster brake. Gary

Latest posts

Back