What is the best way to cut a head tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have to shorten the headtube on my Coast to Coast Commander so I can fit it with a newely acquired chrome rat trap springer. I was wondering; how do I cut it easily and accurately? I only need to remove 1/2" of material total.

On the bright side, if I cut primarily from the top, it'll clean up the frame/tank line a bit.

2zquh5v.jpg

In case you're not aware, some old bikes are not the same diameter at the bearing race as the rest of the tube. You should also check that the race isn't going to run into your frame tube joints. Cutting kind of depends on what tools you have or feel like buying. I would use a right angle grinder myself, it's available and I'm familiar with it. I would definitely vote "NO" on Sawzall or other reciprocating cutters, other than a handheld hacksaw.

I use a die grinder with a thin cutoff wheel. I mark the cut with masking tape. Cutting off the top would clean up the line, but cutting off the bottom would lower the bike. Maybe take a 1/4" off the top, and another 1/4" off the bottom.

personally, i would lengthen the steer tube on the forks before i went at a frame. its not that hard. just use a flat file and clamps to keep it straight while you weld. cut it in the middle and add a 1/2".

Latest posts

Back