What should I pay for this 40's schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I found late 40's Schwinn World Tourist almost exactly like the one in the photo. The only difference is it doesn't have the speedometer and is a single speed with a wide flange read hub. Its the same color, has the same brakes, etc. The chrome is in a bit worse shape, but the decals are nicer than the one in the photo. It has an old brooks swallow seat on it. Do you think around $200 is a good price? I hear early Schwinn lightweights are pretty hard to come by. I was going to put some matching ramhorns on it and use it as a club racing style bike. I would save the original bars in a box of course. The photo is skidkingsvbs's from the cabe.

DSC00750.jpg

$25!? That was a good one. It doesn't seem like they really pop up that much, cheap or expensive. Here are a few photos of it. I figure if I found one this nice for under $150 I would still have to pay over $200 after shipping. I offered $200 shipped to me. I am going to be moving to Boston for school and have been looking for a good bike to take out there. I have a really nice Surly LHT that I was going to store in a friends basement while I was there because I don't want it to get to torn up or stolen in the city. These old Schwinn lightweights just seem so much more bulletproof than the city bikes that are available today. I figure it might take 27" rims if I put some narrow tires on it. Here are some pictures of the bike. Check out the nos Carlisle tires on it.

2228967496_e42e469589.jpg

2418219273_264d37b480.jpg

2418219571_4b672bb4b5.jpg

i figure a surly frame wholesales for $250, so 200 for the start of a project that's much more unique? why the heck not!

Back