What should I pay for this Huffy Galaxy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
3Kb3Gc3M65L95I55Efcaf76c667089e131800.jpg

Looks like a neat bike, and owner says all it needs is another grip. I told him if it's 100% rideable and only needs a new set of grips, then I would pay hime $150. Is that too much for a bike like this. How would I restore something like this? This would be my first restoration project. Or is it not worth it to restore, and should I just give it a nice paint job and give it a different look?

Thanks for any help!

That looks like a good bike, wrong handlebars and some of the chrome looks rusted through. Especially on the wheels, maybe the fenders too. If the rims are straight and it rides well, and you like it, then offer $100 and work from there. You won't get a bike as good new for $150, so it's your call. It would be a good bike to start with, it looks in fairly good condition and nothing looks bent or broken, so a good cleanup and lubrication may be all it needs, other than new tubes and tires.

So let's say I buy it. I think I wouldn't mind having non-original parts, such as those handlebars and some new grips. I just wouldn't paint it, and keep it with that "old" look. The tires/tubes would most likely have to be replaced. I would have some fun riding it, but would like to sell it eventually this spring. What would be a conservative estimate as to what it could fetch, in NYC for example? Not asking for 100% accuracy, just a ballpark figure so I don't put too much into it and can get a better feel as per what I should pay for this thing.

If I spent $130 on the bike, paid $10 for new grips, $50 for a set of off-white Felt Quick Bricks (can't find any other white/off tires...), and $10 for a pair of new tubes, I'd be at $200. Do you think I could sell it for $300?

Condition is everything and I figure that into the price I offer.
In this case, I figure how much time and effort it will take to remove the rust (if possible or replace parts + the cost of those parts), rebuild the bearings, buff the paint, clean the chrome and as you mentioned, tires and tubes.
To me this bike is only worth $40 ($50 or $60 at most, that's giving them credit that it's a neat and uncommon bike) and that's because it needs a lot of work.
Nowadays a lot of people watch American Pickers, etc...and because of that they think their rusty stuff is worth WAY more than it really is.
I try to educate sellers as to what their bike is realistically worth and if they won't come off their price then I leave my number and walk away (sometimes I just walk away). I've had people call me weeks later wanting to take my offer 'cause they're tired of looking at it.
Most middleweights in the Houston area only fetch around $150 to $250 for nice ones (but those prices depend on the brand of bike itself, pricing bikes is really kind of difficult).

Regarding the paint, I would try to save it but be careful around the decals (mask over them if you buff the paint), no one reproduces those and they will be expensive to have new ones made (unless you have the programs and equipment to do it yourself).

You're right. Considering that many of the small parts might need replacing too, I am not leaving enough room to make a profit or even break even. I think I will offer $60. Especially in my area, people think their bikes (and most of then aren't nice old ones like this, more like 90s MTBs) are valuable when they should honestly be priced at $10-20. I would love to buy bikes cheap and then customize them with cool wheels or bars or grips, but even checking Craigslist every day at the minimum and trying to talk down sellers on theirs insanely inflated prices, I haven't found a good bike to work on. I figure next time family goes on a trip I will try to find some deals in more rural areas that we pass through. People in my area are willing to pay higher prices for a nice bike in my area, which is a trade off, but not so high that I could make a profit considering what I might pay to acquire a bike. If I can't get it for less than $65 I think I'll pass.

Thanks for your help by the way!

Back