What to do about bike paint fade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Does anyone know if a color can be brought back to life after the paint fades due to it being left out in the sun?

I purchased a used 2008 Felt Claire for my wifes sister, but the thing is seriously faded and instead of it looking orange it looks yellowish with orange edges. Shoot, I like the way it looks, but I want to see if anyone has recommendations for this.

Thanks

there are some polishes that are supposed to bring back the color, I just buff em out with rubbing compound... :roll:

41rjgW3wgYL._SS500_.jpg

scrumblero said:
there are some polishes that are supposed to bring back the color, I just buff em out with rubbing compound... :roll:

Thanks man. I was doing research on this online and read that rubbing compound works on stage 1 car paints, but was unsure if it would work on bikes. I'm going to give that a shot. Ill take before and after pics

I do this with bikes that are 60 - 75 years old - big time faded. My only recommendation is rub it out with a soft rag - nothing motorized - and try it in an inconspicuous spot first to get a feel for how much hand rubbing it's going to take to get desired results. But I agree, rubbing compound is your best bet.

I came up on this kind:
411QNBNMABL_SS500_.jpg

Do you guys think this would work just fine?
there are so many different labels to rubbing compound that make me confused
action-smiley-015.gif
as to which one I should get

I would think something for a clear coat or something really fine. You have to remember that its like liquid sandpaper. If you get carried away your paint will too. :lol:

"Do you guys think this would work just fine?
there are so many different labels to rubbing compound that make me confused as to which one I should get"

Hey Rydr1
The 3M stuff works well. Maybe you should try the polishing compound if it's not real bad. It cuts less.

Color fading is a bit tricky. Now if it was just really dull it would be a different story.

I'd probably try some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound for Clear Coat that you can get at Wal-Mart first.

I usually used Meguires Polishing Compound. Cant remember the exact formula or anything...It might not have even been anything special. Recently i switched to turtle wax polishing compound in the small green container. Just a bit cheaper...and i couldnt find what i usually buy. Probably because i was in the wrong store :roll:

I Use a T-Shirt Segment to wipe on, and wipe off. I sometimes use a Towell for rougher surfaces. T-Shirt to buff off again. Sometimes i wet the cloth/shirt/towell im using to buff on.

I have not tried a machine, but i have always wanted to

After I rub off all the rubbing compound I use a hand drill and one of those 5" rotary pads from Walmart that you can chuck up in a drill and buff it out. You have to keep a steady handy because if it grabs it can put a skid mark on your finish, but it will shine it up nice.

TheFlyingDingo said:
I usually used Meguires Polishing Compound. Cant remember the exact formula or anything...It might not have even been anything special. Recently i switched to turtle wax polishing compound in the small green container.

Cool, I think I have both of these products at home. I will report back when I get to it.

I got some pictures here to compare.
It more makes colors shine than anything...
106fef48.jpg

this is the bottom bar
4771a393.jpg

top bar.
shinier 8)

and then this is my worksman
699cc029.jpg

6f353bcf.jpg

These are both more or less wipe on and wipe off...didnt do much work to them.

Okay guys. I have posted the bike in the for sale forums, but like Rat rod mentioned, there is a difference in paint fade or dull paint. I have paint fade which I tired rubbing compound on with out a desired result. The bike looks shiny and really nice, but the odd shades are still there. The bike went from orange to yellow. If you look at the pic below you can tell the center of the fender is yellow and the forks are orange.

Thanks for the advise guys. I can use what I have learned on other bikes.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r80/ ... G_2325.jpg

Back