What to do with a torn Brooks saddle?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try either stitching it up with leather shoelaces with a piece of leather backing it. Or using rivets with leather backing it.
If you decide to get rid of it, let me know. I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Was thinking you could set some eyelets in then lace it together.
You'd need a pro tool for that, I don't think one of the hand-setters would work very well, and if the leather is rotten the eyelets might pull loose, either sooner or later.
If a bunch were used the load might be spread enough to make it work.
BUT: I don't suggest you try it, because I sure could use that clamp to get the B66 that's sitting here onto my Continental! :lol:

2013-06-25_040.JPG

this is seriously hack, but I have one done this way, and it's lasted for years:

you can drill holes along the split, like someone above mentioned for an eyelet repair, and without using eyelets, "stitch" it together with small black wire ties, leaving the nub part of the wire tie underneath so it's smooth on top. If rat is what you're after, it gets no ratter than this fix method.

That's what I was looking for! Great ideas so far :D

Kingfish & black-monark: I'll let you know if I let it go but I'll probably try to lace it up somehow 1st

Thanks

You could duct tape it like I did with mine! :lol:

I have thought about taking it to a shoe repair place though. One day I'll get around to it.

Like Clancy said, if the leather is deteriorated, be careful where you drill a hole. The more deteriorated it is, the farther from the split you'll have to make the holes. Looks-wise, the closer to the split the better if the leather will tolerate it.

Back