What type of grease does everybody use? Yes I know not everbody uses the same kind.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
My tub of Hi-Temp grease that i have had for close to ten years has finally ran out. I used it for wheel bearings on countless cars, trucks aslo for my shaft drive garage door opener and many bikes BB and headsets. Now that I need to get some to replace it with, thought I would ask what is the choice of guys on RRB.

Thanks

porklube.jpg

I use red high pressure lithium wheel bearing grease. Why? Well that is what I have on hand...

23536775555_c413548f88_z.jpg

Probably not high enough temperature rated for a coaster brake on an extreme Klunker, but way over the top for anything else...

Luke.

That is what the stuff I have had what seems forever looks like. Red grease used for everything, though now that I have started working on bikes more maybe I will look for something designed for bikes.

I use the Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty stuff. It's the same color as the Park Polylube, smells like the park Polylube, feels like the Park Polylube, and performs like the Park Polylube. I'm not saying it IS the Park Polylube, but they're both made in America, both seem virtually identical, and the only discernible difference is cost; you'll pay about 4x as much for the stuff wearing the "Park" label. Park doesn't offer specs for their product, but here's a link to the Lucas stuff:
http://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_XtraHDGrease.pdf

I run the red lithium grease in my coaster hubs, and on components with a slide or press-in interface (eg, seat posts, bearing cups, respectively)... I use the Lucas Red-n-Tacky, mostly b/c it's convenient to buy a tub of each at the same time. The red stuff has a slightly higher drop point (540dF vs 500dF) so i figure every bit counts for a coaster hub....

Really, while there are greases sold as being bicycle-specific, they're not actually different in terms of spec nor design. And, pretty much ANY kind of real grease is probably overkill for bike use, as the loads and temps for bike bits are still very very low, as compared to most other applications. (An exception is the coaster hub, which does get hott.) Best bet is to run something that is "waterproof" (low percentage of water washout), cheap, and readily available to you. Bearing grease and marine grease of pretty much any sort fit the bill quite nicely.

Just like @Bicycle808 pointed out about the Lucas grease, this article convinced me that Moblegrease 33 is the same as Phil Wood water proof grease. The difference is the price!

100_6914_zps6305d94a.jpg

If you think about it, the market for bicycle specific grease would not be profitable enough to warrant developing an exclusive formula. Companies like ParkTools and such simply have existing products repackaged with their name on the containers. The same is true with many 'store brand' products of all kinds that you find in places such as auto parts stores for example. Except in those cases, they are usually sold for less instead of more!

lucas red and tacky. I bought it because I like lucas and I liked the plastic tub with screw on lid vs the cardboard tub. seems to work fine on my hot rods. and worked fine on my trail jeep. i do think the "tacky" grease adds some amount of resistance but whatever.

lucas red and tacky. I bought it because I like lucas and I liked the plastic tub with screw on lid vs the cardboard tub. seems to work fine on my hot rods. and worked fine on my trail jeep. i do think the "tacky" grease adds some amount of resistance but whatever.

Yeah, it does, but after a few miles, it's pretty well worked-out. I tend to use the red-n-tacky on true loose ball applications (ie, no retainer cage) b/c it helps keep the balls in the cup, rather than on the floor. Yeah, any heavy grease'll do that to some degree, but the Lucas red sticks like glue... :grin:

Brother in law gave me an almost empty can of this US Army stuff...
s-l225.jpg

Dark black and messy prob. has graphite in it like lubriplate.
5696010231_8419122db6.jpg

Back