What Would Steve Do ? 79 Spitfire 5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I couldn't drive over fast enough when one of my bike selling guys calls me on this one, he dragged it two miles home since he don't drive and put the mt bike tires on it, going to need the positron cable to get the five speed working, the brakes are in working order and the paint is decent, going to need decals and grips,messinger seat and post the wheels are nice and straight, just need some wd-40 and steel wool, haven't decided if I will keep or sell yet, I always wanted a drum brake version.
101_9032.jpg

101_9034.jpg

101_9031.jpg

101_9033.jpg

101_9035.jpg

I would be a nice match for my 81 Cruiser 5
mongoose006.jpg

Hmmm...what would I do?

Well, these days, the thought of standing out in my garage cleaning a set of wheels with WD40 and steel wool makes my eye twitch. :lol:

The drum brake is cool...would be a fun project to tinker with over time.

Rat Rod said:
Hmmm...what would I do?

Well, these days, the thought of standing out in my garage cleaning a set of wheels with WD40 and steel wool makes my eye twitch. :lol:

The drum brake is cool...would be a fun project to tinker with over time.
The trick is sitting down and cleaning wheels :lol: when it gets cooler out.

Yeah...that's for sure.

I think I burned myself out on the cleaning/restoring side of this hobby. The last couple of bikes I tried to work on had me cursing the decision to get started.

That's why I bought that Amsterdam...it looked like new and all I had to do was hop on it and ride. :mrgreen:

She's a beauty compared to my old 79 Spitfire 5. I plan to someday make mine into a big boys StingRay with banana seat, sissy bar, 5 speed stickshift, and apes. Someday.........

If I had that score...

Klunker build would be up there on the list. A big stingray would be AWESOME, lots of options but I guess it all depends on what you already have!

That positron stuff is no fun at all... the wires (not actually a cable because it's solid) are expensive and HARD to find. On a build for a Schwinn Suburban for my wife I actually used a newer low end Shimano SIS derailleur off a dump picked Diamondback. Amazingly similar - I was able to modify the post on the dropount mount to fit the newer body derailleur, pull the plastic trim off and run regular old derailleur cable up to the positron shifter. Modified the cable stop to fit the new use and done. It's not indexed shifting anymore, but it never goes out of alignment either and only cost me a couple bucks for the cable and housing.

Cool find! I'd love to get a drum brake hub!

Latest posts

Back