Whats the best way to paint a wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are threads about this in the index but I need further info, Thanks

So I'm going to get a wheel set, 26", 72 spoke freewheel wheels. They only come in chrome of course, I want them black. So, I have choices.

1- spray paint them as is. What is a brand name of "etching primer", and does it work on chrome.
2- disassemble and paint the parts
3- disassemble, paint the rims and hubs, and buy black spokes and nipples. (72 spokes per wheel!)
4- have them powder coated.

Can you get a wheel powder coated without disassembling it?
What about if you need to true it?
Can powder coating stand up to rim brakes?

Thanks guys

Here goes-

1. I use Rustoleum self etching primer. If you are going to paint chrome you need to scuff the entire surface with 400 grit sand paper to give the paint something to adhere to. I have painted assembled wheels. I had a piece of flat stock that I drilled a hole in one end to bolt one side of the axle to. Secure the flat stock to something that will have the wheel vehicle and gives you access to both sides. Spin the wheel and start spraying.

2. The better way is to disassemble the wheel, scuff the chrome (easier than trying to get between all the spokes), paint the rim, hubs and spokes. When I paint spokes I take a 2x4 and drill holes slightly larger than the spokes and as deep as the threads. Drop the spokes in thread side down and spray from all angles.

3. $$$$$

4. I recommend powder coating them (disassembled). It cost a bit more, but in the long run you will be happier with the results. You will have to year the hub down as well. Your wheels can be done assembled, but the coverage on the inner corners may be iffy. It is tough getting the powder sprayed evenly between the spokes. And as far as trueing your rims after coating goes, you won't be happy with what that may do to your expensive powder coating.

The rim brakes WILL destroy paint. I can't speak from experience but I would guess the powder coating might hold up a little better.

TL: DR- Take your wheels and hubs apart and powder coat them.

I recommend powder coating for for anything less the a concours restoration.

I spoke to a powder coater about this and he suggested taking the wheels apart. You can tape up the spokes but any tiny gap in the tape will cause the powder to run in. And if you tape them, when the rim is baked, it will bake the glue from the tape onto your spokes and good luck getting that off.

I don't think your powder coater will want to deal with any parts that have grease or oil in them.

The oven to bake the powder must run to about 300F, and the lube will melt out and make a mess of things.
At least that's what I was told when I had car parts done.
No rubber either, actually anything what could be melted or otherwise affected by the heat.

The powder coater I used, said that they do have special "masking tape" that they can use in the oven.
However he used a very fine (read small) air gun to blow powder off surfaces that he didn't want to coat.
This was done free hand, and there is a bit of skill involved. Spoke nipples, I'd say would be a problem.

To paint them, here' s simple "jig" so that you can rotate them while painting.

An old frane and a B&D Workmate.

paint2.jpg

Take it apart and send it to a powdercoater. Powder coating is much more durable than any solvent based coating and shouldn't not cost much more than you would spend doing it yourself.

I coated the wheels below after media blasting & pretreating them.

375816_2165399818353_1347380667_31882239_1808870307_n.jpg

309501_2165397218288_1347380667_31882238_637537928_n.jpg

387673_2165402178412_1347380667_31882240_847377284_n.jpg

What would that cost "Avarage Joe" off the street to have that Powdercoat job done by you?

Just askin...

MagicRat said:
What would that cost "Avarage Joe" off the street to have that Powdercoat job done by you?

Just askin...

My business is driven by the "Avarage Joe".

If you took them apart I would media blast & coat them for $20.00 per rim plus the cost of powder. Single stage colors are usually less than $10.00 per pound. 2 stage colors are less than $20.00 per pound. My wheels above used less than 1/2 a pound.

This is what they looked like before I coated them.

381308_2165384737976_1347380667_31882231_712133357_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back