What's the worst thing that's happened to you on a bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many bicycle crashes for me... many of them I barely remember because I was a wee little one and my parents just described my crashes as rag dolling down a hill... but here are the ones that I will never forget.

Summer of 2005 - Jumped off a jump with my 1991 Roadmaster Mountain bike, I did a sky wheelie while in the air which was really stupid, because I landed on my rear tire while the front of my bike was facing the sky. When I landed, my bike was off balanced and that caused the rear tire to slam be down on my back, hitting the ground. It got the wind knocked out of me for a long time.... other than that, it was fun lol.

Summer of 2007 - I was going about 25 - 30 MPH downhill, I was being stupid and was swerving to the left and right in the lane I was in. All of the sudden I just slammed on the ground ... wondering why I crashed. I was sliding on my knees (I had shorts on, bare skin to the road) and elbows... barely scrapped my hands which was an amazement to me. I was in middle of the road and downhill, I knew there may be cars coming so I immediately got up and went in someone's driveway.

I looked at my knees... both of them were covered with blood, as well as my elbows. Mixed in with my blood, there was a lot of white pus. I then rode my bike back home. I didn't tell my mom at first because she would flip out lol. I just put several bandaides on the severe road rash and called it good. The next day I got on my bike again, even though I was injured. I was just really curious on what and how I crashed. Turns out I slipped on a small layer of animal guts that was hard to see.

1.5 years later, my knees are still never the same. I can't crawl on my knees because of the pain. My scars stick out like a sore thumb. I always have to crack my knees, otherwise it hurts... but nothing major so that's good.

The positive side of this is... I am scarred for life!!! But not just like a regular scar... it was from a Schwinn and I'm proud of that!!! 8)

'84. Jumping my Race Inc. Broke the head tube off. Then my teeth. 14 stitches. There was a rumor at school the next day that some kid DIED at the BMX track. :roll:

Back when I was in the Navy (yes I was a squid), I bought a brand new Dyno with a little different gearing than I was used to. My first day out on my lunch hour I decided to cruise accross base to get a burger. I was peddling along a good clip when I neared Micky-Ds on the other side of the road. There was a car coming behind me and a car coming toward me in the other lane, both at a safe distance to make a quick hard turn (bad idea). As I leaned to the left and stepped down hard with my right foot, the rear wheel bit and the front lifted. I made my turn but didn't stay upright. The bike went down hard on it's right side pegs, peddle handle bars and my kneecap, I somehow stayed on top of the bike and slid accross a full lane and a half, inches off of the bumper of the oncoming car (insert visions of life here) but I made it. I limped my bike onto the sidewalk, sat down and took inventory of all my new scrapes: 1 kneecap severly scrapped down, 2 tire burns one on each calve, 1 gravely palm, and a sprocket shaped cut on my right shin (I wore a scar from that for several years). Altogether it may not sound as bad as some of what I have read but, DAM THAT FREAKING HURT!

To add insult to injury I had to stand watch that night, believe me when I tell you nothing feels worse than wool on fresh wounds...Kelly

watching the front tire roll away from me as i sped down the street was pretty surreal
also the feeling when the back tire came around smacked me on the head was great too

i have a bone spur in my left leg from getting smacked by a pedal when my foot popped off on a landing

other than that i think im pretty durable, i usually just get up n shake it off but that leg thing stung

About two years ago I was riding my '65 Schwinn Racer, moving along at a pretty good clip when the chain broke. The bike stopped and I didn't. I went right over the bars and did a Superman onto the blacktop. I had rasberries in various places from my shoulder to my knees, and took a chunk of hamburger out of my thumb. Fortunately, a car was not coming from either direction because I was smack in the middle of the street. The forks were bent like a banana and I was about a mile from home. Of course it was the one time that I didn't have my cell phone with me. I threw the bike on my shoulder, tried to avoid bleeding on myself too much and hoofed it home. About a block from home somebody actually stopped to ask if I was ok. I still have most of the parts to the Racer.

never any bad injuries bike related for me
my dad hit a kid once
the kid tried going through a 6 lane intersection with no brtakes
he was fine
i did brake my collar bone but that was on rollaer blades
went off a jump and landed on my shou;der
nothin tto bad though

Latest posts

Back