What's your favorite grease to use for bikes that ain't marketed for bikes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hi.

I've been using the Phil stuff for years, and I'm always telling myself I oughta try something intended for other uses-- eg, auto bearing grease-- to save some money and think outside the box a little. However, whenever the tie Phil stuff runs out, I find myself buying more.

My buddy Harry uses some Castrol brand auto bearing grease, and he swears it's basically the same as the Phil's. I basically believe him, but I was wondering about other alternatives.

So, what's your favorite grease to use on bikes, aside from products specifically marketed as bike grease? I know some white lithium grease fans, plenty of auto bearing grease fans, and even some high-temp marine (aluminum-based) grease ppl. Let me know what you've used, what you liked (and what you didn't), and WHY. (eg, liked it b/c it was cheap? b/c it worked so well? both?)

Thanks.

I have used wheel bearing grease in the past and have been using white lube lately but can't really say what's best or why.

Here's what Sheldon Brown says:
"There are a great many different greases on the market with different special features, mainly for automotive applications. For bicycle use, almost any grease is adequate, since the loads and temperatures are generally low. In wet conditions, a water-resistant grease is preferable. Coaster brakes need a heat-resistant grease."

Lighter is better for my riding, wet weather means heavier so it doesn't wash away.
Black, Brown, tan, and white are natural grease, red, blue and green are synthetic.
Synthetic have better water capabilities.
Any grease, lube is better than none, on almost everything that moves, including threads!
Personally I use blue or green because I rain ride, otherwise I use only lithium grease, or back in the racing days, Phil Wood tenacious oil.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards this Lucas Red-n-Tacky, b/c:
-I run some loose balls, and tackiness helps for keeping balls in races before adjustment
-540F drop temperature should do nicely with the coaster brake hubs I have on some of my bikes
-I've been running green grease so long, I think the red might be a welcome switch.

The Red-n-Tacky ain't the cheapest, but it's sooooo much cheaper than Phil's...

A small 4 dollar tub of all purpose grease from the auto parts store. We never generate enough heat to need anything special, unless you're really hammering on the coaster brakes.

Vaseline. Yes. I've known some ppl who have used it in a pinch; it doesn't last too long. I can see how it might be attractive to roadies, as they'll appreciate the lightweight/low friction characteristics of it, and tif they're obsessive, they can repack it as frequently as that might require.

But wait, haven't all of the roadies moved on to sealed bearings and carbon assembly paste, for their CF steeds?

B/c I'm obsessive and annoying, I think I'm going to get some bluish-greenish stuff and some red stuff, run some comparison tests, and finally settle on one being for warm months and the other for cold months. B/c that's how I roll... I can't imagine many others on RRB feel the same way.

I use the grease they sale at Walmart for the small grease guns they sale. Always carried one with me when four wheeling because itook up less space. I havent had a problem with it on any of my bikes.

I use whatever I have at the house which is whatever wheel bearing grease I happen to buy at the auto parts store. Pretty sure this tub is blue. I've never really thought about it much since the loads and temps of a bike bearing are nothing compared to a automotive wheel bearing.

automotive wheel bearing grease has worked well for me since I was a kid... no failures yet, so it must be good enough!

About 7 years ago my brother-in-law offered me a 5 gallon bucket of white lithium grease. Not having a use for that much I brought a large coffee can and filled it up with the stuff. I wish now I had taken the whole bucket, but I am still using the can I got from it. I like white lithium, but with my AK-37 I got a tube of their green grease and I really like it. Squeezing it out of the toothpaste like tube is very convenient, sort of like how I fill a large syringe with my white lithium and squirt that into bearings.

Phil or Pedro's or Campy white grease for my high end bikes, Castrol wheel bearing grease for the cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Wood grease is marketed as a water proof grease. You can buy water proof grease all day long at any marine supply store (boat store) for a fraction of the cost.

yoothgeye, that's a great idea.
I have some of those big syringes laying around that came with the liquid turkey spice injection stuff.
should keep my hands cleaner when working on the parts.
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

The "all purpose/wheel bearing" generic stuff does fine but it just plain feels thicker to me compared to lithium grease. I've also noticed lithium grease will "mud" up and seem to dry out faster than the all purpose stuff does. Lithium grease is a lot easier to clean out though while the all purpose stuff appears to be a gunk magnet and just gets gummier over time. I've got a tub of both, along with some Park polylube on my bench right now. The Park stuff appears to be a happy medium between the others I've tried. Also used Pedros stuff and it acts closer to the lithium grease. I know I packed a bendix kickback on my tandem with the all purpose stuff, you can really tell the rear wheel spins a little sluggish at first after its been sitting for a while, cold or warm weather.

Update: I got my Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty grease in the post today. I think it is the exact same product as Park PolyLube. Same color, same feel, same texture, same "made in usa" label, same polyurea base. But half the price.

Got some Red-n-Tacky #2 as well. Lithium-based, high-temp. Can't wait to repack my Velosteel...

Back