What's your opinion on Wald parts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what's up with Ward products? Are they good, bad? I am under the impression from their web site that they are made in the USA. I'm rebuilding a few bikes and would like some quality parts. Does Wald have the goods or should I shop else where?

A lot of low-to-mid grade, and a few upper tier bikes have had Wald components as original parts over the years. They're not bad overall, but not generally viewed as top shelf. Many of their parts can not be purchased direct, but through retailers only. In some cases you will find different grades of essentially the same parts, depending on who you get them from. I would not hesitate for a moment to use their handlebars or fenders. If you need a newsboy/granny/dork basket, they're the gold standard. :mrgreen:

X-RAY said:
dork basket? :lol:

here ya go.. :p

354_21.jpg

X-RAY said:
dork basket? :lol:

i prefer to think of them as vintage aero bars.... :mrgreen:

scrumblero said:
their accessories are top notch!!.. their bearing Assemblies , not so much.... :roll:

yeah, those training wheels, for example, are better quality than the bikes people put them on!

what i find odd is that just when the classic bike hobby was really taking off, they discontinued their axle sets- which were really good. when's the last time you saw a schwinn 'script' front hub that wouldn't benefit from new cones? oh well..... :?

Their chrome is pretty good and long lasting too. This label was under old foam padding, from the 80's.

2ciikc0.jpg

55ColumbiaBuilt said:
I may have my wires crossed when it comes to Steve McQueen and his stunt-doubles, but I bet MOST of you don't know what a "DORK" is!

I DO!!!! You might want to look it up, or you might not.......
Whale now, it just might also have another meaning. :mrgreen:

wald stuff is fine by me, it will turn to junk like anything else left out in the weather and uncared for, but its hards to beat their bars / baskets and fenders. chrome maybe isnt the quality it used to be back in the day but id say its still slightly above average compared to what else is available.

as far as definitions go ... my grandparents had an impression that calling someone a "jim dandy" is worse than cursing them out with more popular words. ive never seen the definition theyve came up with in an actual dictionary though, but i think some definitions get lost through the generations. theres plenty of backwards sounding slang out there.

I've had a set of Wald handlebars, a basket, and a chainring. They've been left outside for the last couple of years. The basket still looks brand new, and chainring has a little rust, and the handlebars have no chrome left, all rust.

In other words, YMMV.

wald has good strong parts. may not always be the prettiest or the most expensive, but they do their job under normal wear n tear. some products have looked the same for the past 60+ years!

Tioga ones are good so are Pyramid.. I like the Odessey Dynatron ones cause they are sealed, I've heard the Sunrace ones are nice but havent tried them yet.

Latest posts

Back