"WHEATPENNY" 1934 Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I struggled with finding a good name, originally this was going to be called "Colson Golden" but then I sold off the gold Ukai wheel set I was going to use, so I decided I was going to go with predominately copper color, so this seemed fitting.

I had some really nice shots of the base bike taken in the summer in front of the water, but I can't find them right now, so this will have to do. Hopefully putting it on a stand and taking a picture this afternoon does not count as starting early...

wp001.jpg

Plans include Nexus 3 wheel set, jockey shifter, probably a number/name plate, and some funky bars I hinted at earlier. Speaking of which, I frequently get awesome ideas in the shower, which turn out to be impossible in real life. Having said that, the bars I want to use preclude me from using this fabulous original Art Deco stem, which really bums me out.

wp002.jpg

But I think the bars will be worth it, and it has taken me in another direction for a stem, which I think will be almost as cool.

I spent a fair amount of time at the hardware store today, looking at copper fittings and some other fasteners, and got some really cool ideas and found some trick off the shelf parts I didn't know existed that will look pretty cool. Can't wait to get started tomorrow!

Forgot to mention, the paint, or lack thereof, on the frame and fork will remain as-is. Its my favorite thing about the bike!

Here is donor bike number 1:

regatta.jpg

And here it is, ready to be donated to a charity auction:

regatta3.jpg

Found the original pic when I brought it home, as you can see, it hasn't changed much:

omb1.jpg

omb2.jpg

omb3.jpg

omb4.jpg

omb5.jpg

My favorite pic:
omb6.jpg

omb7.jpg

omb8.jpg

Even though the original is missing a lot, I'm going to try to molest it physically as little as possible, which means I already need to find a smaller axle for the front wheel...

Or a hand file creating a 1/8th" wider dropout....I get the idea to not change it though....nice frame..

Good to see those rusty ones being revived and given a second chance in life.

Problems, problems, problems....

With all the parts I have laying around, it looks like I'm going to have to BUY a stem to do what I want to do. Oh well...

Front axle needs to be swapped out on front wheel, but I may still go with a different hub, which would mean re-lacing the wheel.

Apparently there is no such thing as "durable" copper paint, at least not in new copper color, only "antique" or "aged" copper. Workable, but not what I had in mind. In my search for paint, however, I did discover "copper leafing", which could get expensive but looks like it could be very cool if executed properly...

wp003.jpg

Naturally, front sprocket is skip tooth, rear is standard. The rear has an even number of teeth, so I'm assuming I can just grind off every other one? I feel like if I lose the front sprocket there's hardly anything left of the original bike.

More parts I picked up today:

wp004.jpg

Oh yeah, the bars I want to use are 3/4" to short on each side to get the grips on, but I think I can fix that...

I'm going to try to molest it physically as little as possible, which means I already need to find a smaller axle for the front wheel...

Use the axle that you have and file it flat on each side 'till it fits. That's what I'm planning to do on the Drag King. Great start!

You can still enlarge the hole......just drill it out to a larger
diameter hole....the loss of strength is minimal...don't let it
dissuade you from using the hub/wheel combo you envision...

like this one so far, keep up the good work :D

Didn't want to really drill much of anything, because even though its seen better days, it is still a somewhat rare Colson.

Through some sort of divine intervention, the stem I desired came my way via Craigslist today:

wp005.jpg

When you say there is no durable copper paint, why do you say that? Provided the proper prep work and primer, any paint should last.

What are you trying to paint exactly that is not working?

When you say there is no durable copper paint, why do you say that? Provided the proper prep work and primer, any paint should last.

What are you trying to paint exactly that is not working?

I should have said there's no good CHEAP copper paint that looks like new copper. If you look close at the cans, most of it says it is for indoor use, some even say they are not designed to be durable. Anything that is good, like a standard Rustoleum spray can or high temp/barbecue paint is either a hammered or antique finish. Anything that is supposed to look like new or polished copper is supposed to be used on things that won't get handled much, like picture frames.

I'm kind of getting into the copper leaf idea though. I think I can make that work.

Latest posts

Back