Wheel Building Please try this at home!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I used to always dread the wheel thing when it came to building bikes cost ,quailty and just finding them.So at the begining of the year , I just jumped in an attacked the wheel demons ! Trial and ERROR worked for me. I made a homemade truing stand and started tearing down old wheels to scounge parts and watching how they came apart. I found and saved old hubs/hoops, bought a bunch of stuff from members , read Udall/Cameron's thread on hub rebuilding. Crassly helped me with some Bendix parts, Unchained with hoops.Queasy-Rider s-7's and more.
Ebay haul of new/used spokes really helpled,this is just part of what I came up with. Note the Red rim strip, Fleamarket $2. duct tape. :) thanks for lookin. Tom :)
026.jpg

017-1-1.jpg

007-3.jpg

Nice work, I will be attempting to do some wheel work soon and am dreading and avoiding it....

I love wheel building. It is just a pattern once you get it down it is easy, I do it for friends from time to time. I use linseed oil on the threads and my truing stand is and old fork in a bench vice with a dial indicator. Works great!

I guess I'm goingto have to learn.I went today to the lbs to see what it would cost to to build a wheel for the Rollfast I'm building and came back like I left home.With a hoop and a hub.I was wanting spokes and to lace and true a 26.125 rim with a Shimano 3sp coaster brake.I'll have to figure out the spoke length and try it.

Latest posts

Back