wheel fitment

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one here an expert on auto wheel fitment. I bought a used set of american racing wheels that came off a 97 Mustang GT. They have a positive offset of 42, as best as I can tell, they look like they are for a front wheel drive. I have also read where a lot of guys put the 5x114.3 (Mustang) on a 5x115(Chevy) vehicle. I have a 99 Monte Carlo which I am fixing up that I would consider putting them on, but I am also looking for a mid 90s Mustang convertible to fix and sell. Have read positive annd negative about interchangability and also the use of spacers and the use of hub centric rings. My question regards older wheels from 3osome years ago, it was one size for chevy, one for ford, and one for mopars. Some even had uni lug, an elongated hole to fit all vehicles. Why so many sizes now and what is safe? also do shops rebore the bolt pattern to fit more than one vehicle? Thanks.

Not sure if this helps or not, but i am running a set of "adapter / spacers" on my 71' Ford F-100 pickup to allow me to run a set of Chevrolet "old school" rally wheels ? I have had them on there for a year now, and have had no problems whatsoever on them, they took it from the big Ford pattern to the Chevrolet pattern..just make sure you torque them on and keep check them regularly..Hope that helps..

I go to some forums with a buch of great guys that know way more than me about cars and I can put your question on those forums for an answer if you want me to.

IIRC in the olden days of my youth, there were 2 lug patterns, GM and Ford/Chrysler. Wheel offset was hardly a consideration, as everything was RRD and drum brakes, so they were all basically the same. Custom Offset mostly meant a wider wheel and that the wide part of the wheel went to the outside, and you may have to cut the body to let the tires stick outside the fender/body. Body tubbing came along much later when .... Landy (edit: Richard went by the shorter common name not edited by software back then ha!) and others built the first altered wheelbase Funny Drag Cars.

After market wheels were mostly just available for the Big 3 and any other brand was a challenge to find something to fit, and was usually just not a hot rod candidate.

Now, it's a whole different story.

Back