Wheel Truing Newbie!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm ready to take the plunge!! I'm gonna learn how to lace, dish, and true wheels! I've got a stand:
IMG_0409.jpg

NOW....I just need to learn how to use it! :lol: So I need links, book titles, etc...I've read the "How To Lace A Wheel" stickie...But how about truing and dishing? Let's go! :mrgreen:

Does it have guages to screw up next to the rim for reference?

What I do on my homemade one is just put the rim in there, spin the wheel and look for the most sideways wobbly spot. I tighten or loosen the appropriate spokes to allow them to pull the rim in the opposite direction and then work down to the least wobbly spots. It is not a bad idea on a chrome rim to use a Sharpie to mark the beginning and end of the wobble so you know to concentrate your effort in that area. The marker wipes right off with some paint thinner. On painted rims, pieces of tape work well in place of the marker. Use a good spoke wrench and take care to ensure you don't round off the nipples. Good luck.

JLarkin said:
Does it have guages to screw up next to the rim for reference?
No. It's actually a stand for stationary spinning...But it's made of square steel tubing, so dial calipers or whatever could easily be installed. Thanks! Suggestions for any books or websites?

Once again, thanks!! I'm just about ready to take one apart and put 'er back together... :mrgreen:

Sheldon Brown's wheel building guide is good that's where I learned how to build wheels, just remember to double check your lacing pattern when your building your first wheels after that it becomes easy, good luck. :D

Latest posts

Back