Wheels for those in need

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a smaller town so when you see someone standing on the side of the road holding up a sign with all his belongings next to him it kinda pulls on my heart strings. Long story short. Everyone here usually has a stockpile of bikes and we can only need so many. I don't really care what his story is...be it a vet who can't find a job or whatever. I've got more then enough parts to build him something to get around on. What do you think I should all through on it? I was going to toss a rack on the front and back and toss some bungee cords onto it. It's getting hot here and walking in 90 degree weather with all your belongings has to seriously suck. I've got a Sears Flightliner and a Sears three speed style bike. I just want this thing to hold up for the and not not bust down. Any suggestions? I know he's homeless and he won't be too picky but I want it to hold all his stuff and be comfy. Cruiser style or touring style?

Re: Helping with a set of wheels

I wanted some thicker balloon tires but they wouldn't fit onto the Sears three speed. So now he's going to be cruising ratrod but with a touring twist to it. I took the bike before I added everything on ride a group of vintage bike riders do once a week. They thought it might be a Hiawatha from the shape of the badge but nobody was quite sure. It's prewar I'm guessing from the rear dropouts. I didn't really ride it much as I'm getting more into road bikes/single speeds/fixies now. I gave it the ratrods touring package...front and rear racks, water bottle holder, aluminum water bottle from the Gap(lol)nice springy Persons pleather seat. It's not pretty as the paint was pretty thrashed when I got it a few months ago at a swap meet and everything is welded on hahahaha. No bolts to come loose and have anything fall off. The lock nut on the bars is even welded onto the stem!

All in all I'm hoping it helps him out hauling his sleeping bag and other bags to where ever he needs to go.
123_1118.jpg

123_1120.jpg

123_1119.jpg

123_1117.jpg

123_1116.jpg

123_1123.jpg

123_1122.jpg

123_1121.jpg

Re: Helping with a set of wheels

You did a nice thing. I hope he appreciates it.

Once or twice a year, I fix up some junk bikes for a local charity who gives them out to those needing transportation. They tell me to get them running but keep them ugly so no one will steal them. I've done about 22 bikes now. Only one has wound up in a pawn shop at least that's what they tell me. I really enjoy spending the time in my shop getting those crappy wal mart bikes going. That bike you fixed up is a keeper. He might need a cheap lock to go with it, as many thieves are spur of the moment grabs. Any lock will deter them.

I didn't feel like waiting until after Memorial day so my son and I had to pick up some eggs so we took a run into town. We stopped and picked him up two hotdogs and a gatorade to put into his bottle holder. It's not much but it's better then nothing. I drove up to where he usually stand and didn't see him at first. Then noticed he was sitting under the overpass of the highway with his bags. So we parked the car at the gas station and walked over with bike and food. It's hard to think he's been under that overpass since Friday when I saw going to work and maybe longer. One less bike in my garage going to someone who can really use it beside just for a joy ride around the block. Best of luck to the guy.

awesome!
I had a bike last year for sale on craigslist and this guy from Oklahoma showed up to buy it and he said he wanted to buy it to ride back and forth to the hospital from the Ronald McDonald house to see his son while his son (6 months old) waiting for a heart transplant. I said "Dude take the bike" he was like no I will pay for it and I said "I cannot possible imagine what you are going thru right now and $50 for an old bike means absolutely nothing in comparison so please take it and enjoy it" :)

while this guy wasnt broke you could tell he didnt have much and he was a long way from home and a loving father going thru so very difficult times this is what he got and he just loved it!
P3050017.jpg

Hooch said:
awesome!
I had a bike last year for sale on craigslist and this guy from Oklahoma showed up to buy it and he said he wanted to buy it to ride back and forth to the hospital from the Ronald McDonald house to see his son while his son (6 months old) waiting for a heart transplant. I said "Dude take the bike" he was like no I will pay for it and I said "I cannot possible imagine what you are going thru right now and $50 for an old bike means absolutely nothing in comparison so please take it and enjoy it" :)

while this guy wasnt broke you could tell he didnt have much and he was a long way from home and a loving father going thru so very difficult times this is what he got and he just loved it!

i wonder why hooch comes across the mother load of bikes.

good people in here, i belive that if you do something good to peolpe - somehow it comes back to you...
a guy that has nothing will not see a bike as his primary objective, but once he gets it it´ll make his life easier..

i have a colleague, about 50yo, undertook heart urgery a couple of years ago - and are still living unhealthy - he has 2km from home to our workplace, and he commuted by bus every day becourse he cant walk the distance..he gets heart pain if his pulse gets high.. so i gave him a bike - in Denmark we have a campaign every may called " biking to work" - and i told him that if he participated in this, i would build a relaxed bike for him..so i did, he has ridden to and from work every day since may 1st on a low long cruiser with abehanger.. even got a suicide shifter :)

funny thing is that now he has calculated that with all the money he saves for the bus - he dosen´t have to give up smoking anyway :lol: cant save ém all i guess

Flemming

Latest posts

Back