When Somebody Says "I'll Take It"....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i know i hear ya ...or they call DIBS ...5 times and make it a point 2 let everyone else who shows intrest in what ur selling that they have already called dibs ....have u take 20 more pics...and ask all kinds of questions .....and then say well i think im gonna pass ...sorry !!!! i guess its the nature of the beast !!
i dont think i have ever done this (or i hope not ) ...but it does kinda stink ...

If I need to see more pics, I'll just say I'm interested first. If I say I'll take it, then I'll take it. In fact, I'm usually too slow to jump and I lose so many opportunities that way. I just recently did that and actually lost a part that is almost the last thing I need for the build. And it was originally supposed to be on another part I had purchased. I could have kept things a little closer to original, but I waited. On here you have to know what you're looking at and have money in hand. Most items that go for sale here either sell in the first three minutes or don't sell at all it seems.

It's the integrity of people these days. I think it happens here less than out and about in day to day life I think. I feel honored to be a part of this site, no matter how small, and it feels like a "brotherhood" here more than other places online or out in the world. If you say one thing and do another it's a lie. If I were to say I wanted something I would take it no matter what. Most of us on here are cut from that cloth I think. Don't let one bad apple turn you sour on people. :D

Cameo Carrier said:
It's the integrity of people these days. I think it happens here less than out and about in day to day life I think. I feel honored to be a part of this site, no matter how small, and it feels like a "brotherhood" here more than other places online or out in the world. If you say one thing and do another it's a lie. If I were to say I wanted something I would take it no matter what. Most of us on here are cut from that cloth I think. Don't let one bad apple turn you sour on people. :D

Oh I agree that for the most part, there's a considerable degree of integrity here, but this issue is no case of "one bad apple". I had no less than 4 people tell me they'll take it on an item recently, then, vapor.
I do think there's quite a bit of Ebay psychology going on too. When a person calls dibs, then they receive the knowledge that they actually have dibs, there's an almost instantaneous loss of interest.

I started this thread not so much as a B!&%$ session, but more as a reminder to people that if they make a commitment to buy something, then muster up a dose of character and follow through and buy it.

I understand and agree with your point but that works both ways. I recently replied to a post for a post war locking springer. I didn't call dibbs or commit to buy but was was the first responder. Because of the poor quality of few photos, I asked specifics about the condition of the chrome plating and was told it would "clean up nicely". After pressure from the seller to pay or pass I bought the item. I guess it was true that what little chrome was left did clean up. He failed to mention the lock was inoperable. Point is. Both buyer AND seller have an obligation when one responds to the others ad. Come on guys, if you expect a quick sale, post plenty of GOOD photos and a complete and accurate description so it's easy to make a decision and no one has a reason to change his mind.

Back