When trying to figure out rake and tail....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the rake is the angle of the headtube in regards to the rest of the frame and the trail deals with the angle of the forks compared to the angle of the tube. I think for bikes the difference should be between 3-5 cm? Something like that. so if you were to draw a straight line from your fork, through your axle to the ground, then draw another from the neck tube to the ground, the difference between the two points is the trail. Lowrider bicycle forks have an extreme trail on them, that is why they feel funny when you ride on them compared to frames and forks with a more correct trail.

Trail is a dimension that describes the bikes tendency to pull it self straight when turning. When viewing bike from the side, you would draw an imaginary line through the middle of the head tube all the way to the ground then another line perpendicular to the ground drawn through the axle. the trail dimension is the distance between these two points at ground level. The greater the dimension the more the bike will want to go straight.

something around 120mm (5") is typical

Rake is the amount of offset built into the fork. It is usually 44mm or 1-3/4"

Head angle is measured from the ground to the theoretical head tube center-line and is usually between 65 and 75 degrees. (the greater number being steeper)

"aggressive" would describe a larger number for a head angle. You would then build a fork that corrects the trail to "normal"

Pretty much the same as already said just different description.

Its real simple if you add enough rake on the neck to make it look really cool ...it will want to flop when you ride. You will have to hang on to the bars all the time. This can be corrected some by making longer rockers, in other words moving the front wheel forward of the normal axle point.
If you stretch the frame and move the pedals forward anymore than 7'' will make it where you need a backrest to be able to have enough strength to pedal. It dosent seem to matter if you put the BB forward and higher up,as in some of the custom frames.

The original poster, forgot his name, he's GONE, he left......didn't like our answers! :shock:

He "deleted" his account.

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok now that is weird. I didnt think my answer was that bad. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I read his last post: "How do I delete my account".......Seemed like a lot of anger for not getting the info he wanted.................But if YOU want to take the blame, Paul......works for me. :wink:

The member in question made another questionable post in reference to this one and asked for their account to be deleted.

We obliged him.

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok now that is weird. I didnt think my answer was that bad. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No doubt Uncle Stretch, I thought we were being quite helpful. Here's a conspiracy: He was one those purists who find it abhorrent that we cut, chop weld and leave things rusty and/or primered. He needed proof of our dispicably sinful ways to show his buddies that there are indeed, ruffians about.

if it was anyones fault it was probably mine. He complained that what people told him was what he had already said so... i don't know really he just got pissy and i called him on it.

Back