Where Do I Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schwinn parts specifically bottom bracket bearings and races and also steering tube bearings and races. I picked an old Schwinn Tornado from my neighbor today and it's missing some parts.

I'd suggest a girls frame of the same vintage for a full array of donor parts. Maybe a Hollywood or other from Craigslist/Kijiji in your locale?
Or a member here may be able to sort you out.
What is your location, that could help too.
Please also take a few secs to post an introduction, Welcome to RRB FinStalker. Great frame to save.

I picked up one of these for $5 at a thrift store.
Schwinn Starlet 20incher.jpg
Has supplied bearings and cups for My mid 50's Schwinn.
Also a chain ring for my Schwinn Cruiser Four.
These kids bikes are a great source of parts.

I picked up one of these for $5 at a thrift store.
View attachment 34795 Has supplied bearings and cups for My mid 50's Schwinn.
Also a chain ring for my Schwinn Cruiser Four.
These kids bikes are a great source of parts.
I take it that all of those parts basically dropped in? Forgive my ignorance I haven't tinkered with an old bike like this since I was a kid.

Yep. I was unsure if they would work, but the cup was cracked and I could not ride the bike anymore so I drove it out of the old bike and the parts matched up fine so I used them. :)

The headset cups will likely be different on the modern kids' bikes, but the one piece crank stuff will drop right in...the catch is, you'll won't be able to rn the Chicago Schwinn cranks (if you still have'm) as those are threaded differently (28tpi for Chicago Schwinn vs 24tpi for almost everything else...) Even the cups are different, b/c they're ground for a different bearing set-up, or so I've been told. I never tried to mix'n'match the old Schwinn cranks/hardware/bearings with the standard cups, but Schwinn OPC BB's do take a different retainer than the standard cranks do....

As for the headset, it's tough to beat a real old-school Schwinn one, but there are plenty of "BMX"-spec headsets that will fit the 32.5mm headtubes of a Chicago Schwinn. Tioga Beartrap II is a good one, but I like the generic VP units that you can get from porkchopbmx.com....

You'll want a 13/16" seatpost; get one with 7/8" tops so you can run standard/normal guts....

Basically, the rest of the bike will take standard parts, although not every 1" seatclamp will tighten down sufficiently on a ChiTown Schwinn.

I re-found a place locally that has a ton of old bikes for sale that I can use as a source for donor parts. Hopefully I can find all the stuff I'm looking for in one spot.

The headset cups will likely be different on the modern kids' bikes, but the one piece crank stuff will drop right in...the catch is, you'll won't be able to rn the Chicago Schwinn cranks (if you still have'm) as those are threaded differently (28tpi for Chicago Schwinn vs 24tpi for almost everything else...) Even the cups are different, b/c they're ground for a different bearing set-up, or so I've been told. I never tried to mix'n'match the old Schwinn cranks/hardware/bearings with the standard cups, but Schwinn OPC BB's do take a different retainer than the standard cranks do....

As for the headset, it's tough to beat a real old-school Schwinn one, but there are plenty of "BMX"-spec headsets that will fit the 32.5mm headtubes of a Chicago Schwinn. Tioga Beartrap II is a good one, but I like the generic VP units that you can get from porkchopbmx.com....

You'll want a 13/16" seatpost; get one with 7/8" tops so you can run standard/normal guts....

Basically, the rest of the bike will take standard parts, although not every 1" seatclamp will tighten down sufficiently on a ChiTown Schwinn.
I have the old forks, seat and seat post, crank set and chain ring. I'd like to reuse some of the stuff but I won't consider it a total loss if I can't.

Nono, you can --and arguably, maybe you should--use all that stuff. Get yourself either an old Schwinn approved headset, or one of the other 32.5mm sets i'd mentioned. And, get yourself a 28tpi BB set. . . either an old Schwinn one, or Tange makes new ones.... I think you can find "sunlite"-branded 28tpi sets, too....http://www.bmxguru.com/products/28-tpi-bottom-bracket-f-one-piece-crank-28tpi-for-schwinn-mongoose
http://porkchopbmx.com/vp-h755-bmx-bicycle-headset-1-threaded-w-32-5mm-cups-chrome/

HTH

Latest posts

Back