Where do you guys get ideas or draw inspiration from?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, as you can see, I'm a relatively new member to the site. I am in the process of stripping my 1960's Moulton Mini, to rebuild as a modified/rat bike version in some shape or form.

It might not be the best base for a project only having 14" wheels and not being a full sized Moulton, but it's what I've got and I'm going to work with it.

As many probably do, I have been browsing the site for ideas for my own project. Although I don't want to just copy other peoples ideas or build a carbon copy of someone elses bike.

How do you guys inspire yourselves, or make decisions on a particular style to follow for your bike? How do you make it individual?

It's hard to be an originator. Everything I've ever seen, be it at a car show or a sci fi flick, colors my sense of style. It is a constantly changing thing, my taste. I don't care for styles from the 70's but I reveled in them when I was living back then... But some styles are forever, or seem to be, flat black street rods will always be cool. Life experience is where I get my ideas from.

Carl.

I think that is up to each individual taste... I like all bikes and go through stages, but always end up back on the board track style. Anything old pre 60's. I look at a bit of trash,kick it,then see if I could work it on a bike... Sometimes I go for a theme,dukes of hazzard etc.
I am inspired by a lot of builders here at RRB... And I dont mind others copying my ideas...:thumbsup:

Google images is where I normally start, but I don't go there looking for a build, I just randomly browse and if something inspires me I save the photo to an ideas folder on my computer, normally they sit there for many months, occasionally getting seen when I am looking for something else, and ideas are always going at the back of my mind...

My biggest problem is when I have seen something somewhere and I didn't save the photo, I can never find it again if an idea pops up...

Tastes are always changing, both yours and those found on RRB, I never would have imagined the Minivelo I built recently as an idea a year ago, but sometimes things reach out and grab you, just keep your eyes open and the ideas will come.

Blending different ideas from different bikes can sometimes get you on the right path to make something truly different, sometimes they start new ideas completely. Get out a sketch pad and doodle, chop and change photos in paint or photoshop, you might be surprised what you come up with!

Eventually you will probably end up with about 8 build ideas on the go, and the ones that hang around the longest and you keep going back to are the ones to build. ;)

Luke.

What gets my blood going first is looking at old ratty station wagons or sedans from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Then I try to incorporate that style into my bike while adding a sense of things I enjoy. In my sense patina, wood, graffiti, hardcore metal/punk and fried chicken wings.

Since I got off mtbs I just sorta build to my needs? Ok whatever hair brained idea I get....sometimes they work!
I want a welder, a t.I.g. so I could, "unleash my demons," as it's said.

From my lil evil black velo wizard heart! Where else would it come from? LOL Jus Sayin.

Back