where to buy a 1 5/16th headset

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 years in the bike trade and i have never heard of an 1 5/16" headset. I could be wrong, maybe some antique American or French (they love to be different!) bikes from before the war. I've seen some bloody stupid headset's (Pashley, Raleigh, Klein and the new idea the mountain bike industry has come up with 1 1/8" top, 1 1/2 " lower) but i have the feeling your not measuring it accurately. 1 1/8" headset diameter is ALMOST that size,and maybe the head tube has been ovalised,face the head tube with a 1/18" facing tool and give one a go because your going to have more luck finding Hen's Teeth.

I think the OG poster is actually looking for a 1" threaded headset with a cup that has an OD of slightly less than 1.3125" . I have run across a few 40s-50s era bikes that had slightly larger head tubes and required different cups.

here is a pic that i took real quick..
DSC00088.jpg

I see.... okay, the silly thing is I've posted pictures of my 30's Monark head tube with the same odd dimensions! I ended up brazing in some cut down head tube reducers and a new crown race to the forks (available from Ceeways Frame Building Supplies - UK) to make them standard 1" dimensions. Of course in the shop we just shim out loose headsets with strips cut out off beer can's or punch the cups with a centre punch to get them to fit nicely.

Matt 732 said:
Of course in the shop we just shim out loose headsets with strips cut out off beer can's or punch the cups with a centre punch to get them to fit nicely.
Now thats what I'm talkin bout...Used up beer cans and a hammer :mrgreen:

the wald headset is ever-so-slightly larger than a standard bmx. not the greatest quality, but then neither are a lot of old head tubes....

(a perfect fit in my prewar snyder-built rollfast)

Latest posts

Back