Which color no-turn washers for Nexus 7 hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for help on which color of no-turn washers should be used when using a Nexus 7 spd coaster brake hub with an old frame that has rear facing drop outs? I went to Sheldon Brown's site and only saw suggestions for degrees up to 90* (vertical drop outs). I'm guessing since my drop outs face rearward, I have about a 145* angle. Also, do I need one of those colored washers on both sides of the hub or just the sprocket side? I bought the hub used so I don't have any hardware. All suggestions are much appreciated.

ive had a 3 speed and a 4 speed that only had the washers on 1 side, i think the newer the hub is the more likely it is to take 2 washers, does the axle have flat spots on both sides of the hub ??? is so, id use 2.

CCR said:
. . . does the axle have flat spots on both sides of the hub ??? is so, id use 2.
Thanks Jeremy. Now that you ask I guess it makes more sense to use two since I think I recall both sides having a flat spot. I appreciate your input. Now if a knowledgable source would just tell me the color of washer to order I'd be in business! Anyone :?: :?: :?:

i think the different angles are just to line up the cable joint (and possibly brake arms??) in the right position, but i would definitley get a second opinion :mrgreen:

I used Silver and White on a bike with track style dropouts and 7spd coasterbrake. Use both sides. If you are trying this on an older frame like prewar, it will be trial and error.
nexus8-washers.gif

Thanks Cman, I appreciate the time you took to locate and post the illustration. I'm pretty sure my frame is a pre-war Monark, but I still haven't gotten a for sure date on it. I have a feeling I may be wheeling this thing into my LBS with my tail between my legs for some help on these washers. I can't afford a trial and error approach of buying two washers of all 8 colors!

I put a Nexus 7 on my '41 Schwinn frame. I never could figure out which washers were the right ones so I ground off the locating pins, put the washers on and tightened them down. That was 2 years ago and I haven't had anything move yet. The teeth on the inner side of the washers against the frame are enough to hold it just fine. Gary

Back